Hitchhiker ID?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jamie9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jamie9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2025
Messages
457
Reaction score
438
Location
Mid Atlantic
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a tiny snail baby on my glass today. It's like, the size of an amphipod, had to break out the DSLR and manual focus just to get a decent shot. Any idea if it is friend or foe? I assume it came in on my live rock in egg form, as the only snails I currently have are trochus...and this doesn't look like one of those to me.

1764592163816.png
 
TBS replied nice and fast to an email I sent this morning. They are thinking cerith snail. It'll be fun to see if it grows up.
 
Found another hitch hiker this morning (photo below). It was crawling on my rock when I turned the lights on in my office and it started making a run for cover. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of whelk so I pulled him out of there. He can go in a little bowl for my son to watch for a little bit...but destined to be bird food I think. I'm glad I found it now as I have a 5-pack of small Nasarius snails on the way and not sure I'd have been able to differentiate it from them.

IMG_7249.JPG
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new