Hitchhiker LPS? Help identify...

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheKDude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TheKDude

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two have been growing on my Ora Cespitularia frag plug that's been in the tank about 3 months. It has a striped radial pattern around the perimeter and a purple tentacle out the center. AI keeps saying it is a family of Acan, and I do have an Ora Blue Lagoon acan in the tank that is growing new heads like crazy.



20260731_125813.jpg

20260731_125807.jpg

20260728_113756.jpg
 
Can you post a photo of the hitchiker?
 
I believe that's a Vermetid snail, it just hasn't started growing up and out yet. They form a tight spiral close to the surface they're attached to when they first start out.
 
I believe that's a Vermetid snail, it just hasn't started growing up and out yet. They form a tight spiral close to the surface they're attached to when they first start out.
That's disappointing. I guess I should break them off asap?
 
That's disappointing. I guess I should break them off asap?
They're not the worst hitchiker and pretty common. They have the capacity to irritate corals with their mucus nets but for the most part they're harmless to your reef.

They can be a hazard to your fingers though, their shells are very sharp and if you grab one accidentally it can give you a significant cut.

I have a few in my tank that I've left alone to give my wrasse and bumblebee snails something to hunt.
 
I just cut them off the plug. They were indeed snails. The shells were indeed hard but the inside was quite gooey.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new