Hitchhiker on my Trochus snail

GreenOnions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first post. I’m getting back into the hobby after about 15 years. After my 55 gallon tank was done cycling (which was about a week ago) I purchased a trochus snail that had a slug on his shell, or at least I was told it is a slug. Should I remove it and do I need to worry about it eating the trochus? He was added into the tank two days ago and today seems to be moving a little slower. Thanks
IMG_0582.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That's either a hoof snail or a slipper limpet (see the quote below) - it's not a threat to your snail, but it's probably pretty heavy given the comparative sizes. Regardless, if your trochus has enough good food and water quality, then it should be totally fine.
Yeah, looks like either a Slipper Limpet (genus Crepidula) or a Hoof Snail (taxonomic family Hipponicidae) - both are harmless; slipper snails are filter feeders, and hoof snails feed by extending a long proboscis (think like an elephant's trunk) to eat either their host snail's waste or any food it can reach from its host's back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back