What is on my snail? Spionid worm?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Can someone id what is in my trochus snail shells? It’s looking like many of my trochus are becoming infested with these worms. I don’t know what exactly they are, but they are spreading. Are these spionid worms or do those only occur inside of coral skeletons? These look like they are encrusting over the snail shell rather than growing into or boring in. I will try to get a pic of the worm extended

IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3146.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Can someone id what is in my trochus snail shells? It’s looking like many of my trochus are becoming infested with these worms. I don’t know what exactly they are, but they are spreading. Are these spionid worms or do those only occur inside of coral skeletons? These look like they are encrusting over the snail shell rather than growing into or boring in. I will try to get a pic of the worm extended

IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3146.jpeg
That's quite an impressive collection of vermetids!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,,, wow... that's a lot of vermetids on that one snail.
If those trochus snails are BRAND NEW, I'd definitely start trying to scrape those off with dental pick or something (ideally keep them in separate observation tank for some time).
If the trochus snails have been in the tank for a while, it's probably likely you'll start seeing vermetids on your rockwork -- not the end of the world but you might be in for periodic attempts to remove some to control the population at least.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is pimped put with vermetid snails, never seen so many on a snail ive had 1 max on mine
Lol. Ya seriously

No all these trochus have been around for like a year and were clean when arrived. I had vermatids I assume in the tank but they had exploded yet. What’s strange is that they REALLY love being on the snails. I don’t see any on the rockwork yet but I assume it’s only a matter of time. It’s that observation that had me confused - all over many snails but not really seeing much on the rocks.

In any case I scraped the snail shells so let’s see how many survived before I put the trochus back into the DT (moved them to QT for the moment)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi.

IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3146.jpeg
Wow- I would say vermetids. This is a tough one as you want to break them off at their bases but you risk breaking the shell of the snail. I would cover entire colony of them with coral putty and after a month then snap them off at the bases as they will no longer be alive

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- I would say vermetids. This is a tough one as you want to break them off at their bases but you risk breaking the shell of the snail. I would cover entire colony of them with coral putty and after a month then snap them off at the bases as they will no longer be alive
my lobophyllia has vermetids growing mostly under under the skeleton at the front it doesnt seem to really get affected by them but im pretty sure they slow down its growth.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lobophyllia has vermetids growing mostly under under the skeleton at the front it doesnt seem to really get affected by them but im pretty sure they slow down its growth.
20240221_152134.jpg

This is a pic i took 2 weeks ago u cant really see the vermetids but theres like 5 long small vermetids under the lobo

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes. Thet steal food and use their webbing to capture food and often irritate nearby coral. The one at lobo, you can either place a dab of gel superglue or same coral putty over their opening and they will stop stealing the food from coral.
I would add about 4 bumblebee snails to tank who will eat them. Will take them a while to get the job done

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Thet steal food and use their webbing to capture food and often irritate nearby coral. The one at lobo, you can either place a dab of gel superglue or same coral putty over their opening and they will stop stealing the food from coral.
I would add about 4 bumblebee snails to tank who will eat them. Will take them a while to get the job done
Already have exactly 4 bumblebees haha.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3146.jpeg
If you got a bubble bee snail hell love that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back