Hitchhiker or new zoa?

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, and thanks for taking the time to read, I am new to the saltwater world. A few days ago I bought a few frags from aquasd. All of my corals are doing well except my Omega Star Zoa. It stays retracted most of the time and I noticed something on them. I don't know if it's a hitchhiker or a new Zoa head. It's small and will retract if it is touched took the best pic I could.
My first post tons of threads read, reef2reef seems to be the Reddit of the fish world.

IMG_20230815_063550919~2.jpg

OP
OP
P

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry lighting sucks it was in the morning when my lights were turning on ( orange in the morning, blue at night) but it seem the right hue for camera to pick it up. The little ******* is orange/reddish in color. Should I isolate and hit with joes juice or just pull the whole frag out?

OP
OP
P

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty for the quick responses. If it is Aiptasia did I catch it in time or should I worry about small pieces breaking off and spreading? I want to give every creature the best chance, but the frag was only $10. Is it worth the chance to spread to the tank, or am I over-paranoid and jumping the gun? I order some joe juice as it seemed to be the cheapest well-reviewed product- more than the frag. Will try to get a picture during the daylight hours of the tank for more clarity. it does seem to be out when the zoa is not.

OP
OP
P

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same zoa different hours after being in tank, thought it was a hitchhiker and tried to scrape off. Not sure if the orange pic is the same one or different (colony). Sorry for lighting again this was night cycle a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_200334791_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20230812_200334791_HDR~3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 36

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same zoa different hours after being in tank, thought it was a hitchhiker and tried to scrape off. Not sure if the orange pic is the same one or different (colony). Sorry for lighting again this was night cycle a few days ago.
Aiptasia. I would not scrape it off. They seem to grow off pieces of themselves. Use the joes juice when you get the chance.

OP
OP
P

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia. I would not scrape it off. They seem to grow off pieces of themselves. Use the joes juice when you get the chance.
Copy that. I scraped it outside of the tank, busted a piece of the life rock the zoas where I noticed brown viens like things running through the rock, got scared, and put it back in the tank. Will apply juice when it arrives, should I drown the frag or spot treat? again would do out of tank.

OP
OP
P

PartHuman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last pic before treatment.
IMG_20230816_113649868_HDR~2.jpg

I put the frag in a separate clean saltwater container, scraped the entire plug plus any part that wasnt a purple node of a zoa. Then everywhere I scraped up to the zoa's I applied joes juice, while out of the water.Waited almost a minute then rinsed off frag in first container. Then in a second clean saltwater container rinsed off and blasted with baster. Put it back in the tank to find one of the Duncan's and the bubble coral got upset and spit out food from last few days.both about 8in away. Hopefully it was just me moving the lights on and off the tank and they be better in the morning.
Hours before:
IMG_20230816_120117223_HDR~3.jpg

Minutes After treatment:
IMG_20230816_182619554_HDR~2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back