Hitchhiking Octopus

TBAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get them all the time on our rock. They are just pygmy octopus.

IMG_1688.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously an awesome find for the OP!! I would rank this up there with my old mantis that earned her own tank for several years.

We get them all the time on our rock. They are just pygmy octopus.

IMG_1688.jpg IMG_1682.jpg

That makes me want to come over to Tampa and get one!!!
You say pigmy, how long have you kept one and how big did it get?

TBAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only get to be about 4 inches total. They are really cool, but they hide a lot. Have had that one in the tank with two peppermint shrimp since October.
I found one in the large tank I just set up too, though I have never seen him out, he was in a hole in the rock when I was putting it all in.

Loves2Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about them but always though they were neat. How social is it or does he hide most of the time?

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob hard to keep, If it were me I would try to isolate it and take it to your local aquarium they might be able to give it a good life. But that's just me

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the tiny octo's only have a couple year life span, I had one in a 50 with just basic filtration nothing near reef quality water and he thrived.. Very easy to keep just have lots of live crustaceans available, I fed mine fresh water ghost shrimp for the most part because they where cheap and easy to get.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the tiny octo's only have a couple year life span, I had one in a 50 with just basic filtration nothing near reef quality water and he thrived.. Very easy to keep just have lots of live crustaceans available, I fed mine fresh water ghost shrimp for the most part because they where cheap and easy to get.
Yeah, I've actually seen these for sale (@ like $80-$100) but purposely avoid anything that get its lifespan shortened that much.. Some things should be left in the wild... But as a hitchhiker! What else can you do but give the guy the best care possible. :)

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a future of nano octopus tanks! This guy would be perfect (at least in my experience) for a 20-30 gallon tank. Keeping one of these would make keeping mantis shrimp a waste of time

kdwdarkskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably best to return him to the ocean where you got him, he is cute, but will eat any and everything you have in the tank or put in the tank. The larger he grows the more he will need to consume, if you bolt down a lid (recommended) be sure to use nylon nuts and bolts, any leaching of any metals is deadly. Technically he is an invertabrate. Treat him and the water the same....i.e., no copper treatments. Good Luck, Reef Geek Marine.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I have heard of a pygmy octopus that only gets 4 inches. Keep us informed. Very interesting. I'm wondering if something like a Innovative Marine 40 would suffice. Also if their tops would work for a pygmy ceph.

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the extremely long wait everyone. Megamind is still doing fine though he is no longer in my tank. After feeding him over 15 hermit crabs and at least 5-6 shrimp per night it got to a point where the maintenance of the little guy was a lot to handle, him eating live and all. I had him until November at which point I decided to give him to a friend who lives by the beach and had set up a 40 gallon just for him. He measured about 4 inches in diameter with his tentacles extended and never really did grow much after the first photos I posted. Personally I believe these pygmy octopuses do have the potential of having a species only 30-40 gallon tank since they mostly keep to a single area but only if you are willing and able to supply the food demand of this beautiful creature and of course taking into account that they are nocturnal so you may not see them much at all. I tried and failed to switch Megamind to frozen so I could keep him and he wasn't having it. All in all I think it was best for Megamind to give him away, his new owner has two 15 gallon tanks filled with live shrimp (that apparently breed quite readily), and crabs & hermits that he replenishes every couple of days just for Megamind. My experience with this little guy was awesome, I never thought I'd find a quirkier animal than the clown fish I've kept until I found Megamind; watching his hunting habits (and by hunting habits I mean hiding in his cave and suddenly lunging at unknowing passersby) and the way he'd fix up his "cave door" around all his tentacles each night kinda hugging the shells and rocks was really fun and an amazing insight into how these creatures live.

Dianna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having fun with your "baby picture" your cephalpod appears to be the common octopus species vulgaris which is as it name indicates, common to tropical and subtropical waters...worldwide.
It's a night feeder...and a good clue to verify it is vulgaris - the octopus likes to pile up shells ....you may not have had enough snails, etc. in your sump to notice it...it will grow..2-3 feet. If i had something that big in my sump, I don't think I would stick my hands in there without the light on. Scungilli anyone? Good luck with the hitchhiker.

scrumpto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. In addition to all the other advice about lids and stuff I'd like to suggest a mobile food for it to hunt. I use to keep and raise black mollies to feed my anemones. You can usually get them to breed it full strength saltwater after some acclimation and that will provide a ton of little fish for it to hunt and eat. Alternatively, you can raise them in a different tank with lower salinity and then just add the babies to the octo tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back