OP
Chowder3

Chowder3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the size you want, there's nothing foolish about buying it. If you have every intention of upgrading in a year or so though, you'll find that not much of the equipment you buy for a 20 gal will work for a 65 - 75 -90g tank. You may end up spending a lot of money twice to get what you wanted in the first place. That said, a 20g would make a great hospital or quarantine tank for a setup of that size.

I've enjoyed my 65, but wish I'd started just a bit bigger. That size range you see the results of adjustments that you make within hours to days. Likewise, you can screw up on something and usually have a good day or three to catch that you've made a mistake. Huge tanks (I'd assume) take a lot longer to give you feedback. Smaller ones give instant feedback, but also much less time to notice you've gone awry before hitting critical levels of this or that.
Awesome information! Thank you.

OP
OP
Chowder3

Chowder3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Have a good read of the thread shared by @Big G and @dbl
Also have a watch of the BRStv 5 minute guide and the BRStv 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. I spent years doing research before diving in and I'm so glad I did!
Finally, be patient! And by patient I mean really patient! Nothing happens fast in a reef!
Thanks and I loved that series! Still reading around and it’s nuts how so many peoples opinions are different. I feel like it’s just finding what works for you but most importantly the tank (and everything in it).

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and I loved that series! Still reading around and it’s nuts how so many peoples opinions are different. I feel like it’s just finding what works for you but most importantly the tank (and everything in it).
Which series?? Or both lol?

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Pompus;Pompus;Pompus;Pompus;Pompus

I have always wanted a saltwater tank but just never committed I guess. They are stunning!!! Well now I am ready but I think I need to hear the good and the bad. Don't get me wrong I am so ready to do this - no matter how much work it is. I have no knowledge at all on a saltwater system but am open to everything so I am literally just shopping around to decide what size tank do I even want?!? Starting from a cube tank to a 100+ gallon. Then following all the proper steps. It is good to see a lot of "How to" videos online. When I was small my dad had a 100+ gallon freshwater tank and that was his baby. It sounds like saltwater is going to be more work than that. For that reason, I just would like to get as many opinions about your thoughts on Saltwater tanks. Especially for a beginner.......the good and the not so good.

I hope you all are having a great Friday. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully I hear from you.

Chow!
Welcome to R2R. It’s a great hobby and very rewarding when up and running. There are ups and downs. I started with no knowledge. I searched online for anything I needed to know plus some help from the LFS I bought the tank from. I eventually came across R2R and now most of what I need to know can be found here. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you. My advice is take it slow.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how foolish would it be for me to start with a 20 gal? With the intention of most definitely making an upgrade once more knowledgeable and proven success?
Nothing’s foolish here. I started with a 40 gallon. It’s still all I have. Would love to go bigger but no space - or money lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back