Hobby Depressed: What gets you FIRED back up?

What is your current level of enthusiasm for the hobby?

• Totally FIRED Up!

Votes: 290 46.0%
  • Somewhat Excited

Votes: 188 29.8%
  • Interested but not that excited

Votes: 91 14.4%
  • Hobby Depressed

Votes: 61 9.7%

• Total voters

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a while to get my tank to where it is today. Algae, algae, and algae was the theme of my tank. Four years later, there is barely any algae in the tank, for the first time ever I'm actually testing super regularly, and dosing to keep things dead on where I want them. For me, that is new, it is awesome, and keeps me super fired up. The wife has even noticed, I spend a little time every day working with the tank, and at least one day a week of some solid work. It shows. Now, I am also trying to redo like my entire house, and have a two year old, and have another due in 3 months, holy crap just three month what the heck I'm not ready. So, I need to keep with it, but need to make sure it is SUPER dialed in for when I inevitably have no free time and no sleep with two kids. And that is why I am doing it now.

Oh I also tinker constantly, add a skimmer, take it away. Socks, no socks. Algae reactor, then not, then use the skimmer section as a fuge, now back to a skimmer. Now replumbing the whole tank because the sump is in a stupid location under my tank that totally doesn't utilize the space well, and I want a bigger GPH overflow. Adding automatic dosing as I switch from AWC to no water change, and connecting a frag tank, because who doesn't want another tank?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have ever been Hobby "Depressed". More Hobby "Frustrated" than depressed. When things happen like RTN for no apparent reason is frustrating but you gotta move on. I am excited with my tank right now and it is basically automated on autopilot. I am most Fired Up about something new such as equipment, frags, etc.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things were going very well and then last night was rough.

Knocked over my rock formation so my duncan came into contact with a candy cane coral and was looking rough. I had to epoxy some parts back together and my pistol shrimp shot my finger while I was fixing it. Felt the high voltage tingles while I was fixing it so I had to troubleshoot and replace a pump. Then after successfully printing a RFG (after 6 attempts with various supports/infills) I was completely unable to snap it to my loc line. Poured myself a whiskey and grabbed a beer. Finished my ATO upgrade which turned out looking super sharp and finished clearing out my nearly eradicated dino problem. Its the little wins

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really fired up. It seems one problem after the next. First I fight off nuisance algae and then Cyano and back to algae and back to cyano. Its crazy for an understocked tank, great skimmer and use Chemi Pure. Pretty soon I'll throw in the towel.
Sounds like my tanks for years, but then I discovered chaeto in my fuge under a 600 Watt horticulture light, and my nutrient export problems went away, and so did the nuisance algae and cyano. Now I have five tangs and feed like crazy, no problems. I do have to harvest the chaeto at least twice a month.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the center console in my car has salt stains because my arms are always in the tank: I have a nice car that I love but I love the tank more the fact that the car only comes second to the tank gives me a sign that I really enjoy the tank. (2016 Mercedes CLA45 AMG) but if anyone else even breathes towards the car my eyes get big.......

Or: checking the growth on a tiny spot of coraline algae that’s starting to grow on the back glass. Today it’s about 1/4 inch diameter.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a situation recently where I was super excited to get my blue plus on the t5 fixture..
Told my brother to come check out the tank, he said "fish are for losers..." my reaction was a frown...

I started to describe the need for the blue lights, he was not convinced.
Then he said "why do you like this hobby, there are other hobbies a lot more rewarding.."

I quickly answered... that not everyone can keep a saltwater fish tank, that's one reward.
Second coral options / growth, fish tranquility, keeps you busy, chemistry, troubleshooting.
It's a super stimulating hobby.

I chose to not agree with his negativity, being able to show the fruits of my effort was what pushed me to be confident on why I love this hobby. - He said "pretty cool.."

Stay positive reef fam!!

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hobby depressed but now I’m fired up!!
I was so fed up with my old tank(Red Sea Max 250) I bought new LEDs for it(Steve’s) and hated them. So loud! I listed the tank for sale and immediately backed out when the guy came to look at it. I called him a week later and sold it. I instantly missed the tank! I’ve since purchased a 90 gallon and my new custom stand is almost finished!!
cant wait to get everything going again!! Also I can’t wait to move this empty tank out of the center of my livingroom!! Lol

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hobby depress not too long ago by a crazy hair/briopsis/cyano outbreak that made my tank look pretty ugly. I started to get frustrated by the intense amount of maintenance I had let build up,and I started spending less time actually working on the tank. Then, one day, I went to my LFS to get some more additives, and saw my favorite fish ever, and what I dream to but in my tank in the near future: A sargassum trigger. After that, I did a major overhaul on the tank and now it is looking pristine and good!

As for what gets me hyped, I love cleaning the tank, discovering cool hitchhikers, and observing the amazing reef dynamic that I am so blessed to have in my home.

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me every year when Summer comes, I lose interest in my tanks. Then a few month go by and Fall/Winter come back I get Fired back up. Then I spend the whole time getting everything back up and running perfectly. Only to neglect again in the Summer. HAHA
Sounds like seasonal hobby depression ha

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the problem are what excite me. Yes, it can cause some mental strain and wallet strain, but it gives me something to work on and read about. I enjoy researching problems and reading non-stop until I dream of said problem. Basically, I get obsessive. I enjoy that about any aspect of a hobby. For me, I do saltwater reefing and outdoor gardening. Each one has their own set of pests, bacteria, and fungi that can impact crops and coral. It is what keeps my mind busy!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things "fire me up" about this hobby. New innovations, other reefers experiences shared & proven, and topics here on R2R. Reading many of the replies from "seasoned reefers" is the most inspirational.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really fired up. It seems one problem after the next. First I fight off nuisance algae and then Cyano and back to algae and back to cyano. Its crazy for an understocked tank, great skimmer and use Chemi Pure. Pretty soon I'll throw in the towel.

Don’t throw in the towel! Once you get it all straight you will have a great sense of achievement and have something to be proud of. There’s always issues I think that’s part of the hobby and for me part of the excitement - to be able to fix something-

Good luck and happy reefing.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a situation recently where I was super excited to get my blue plus on the t5 fixture..
Told my brother to come check out the tank, he said "fish are for losers..." my reaction was a frown...

I started to describe the need for the blue lights, he was not convinced.
Then he said "why do you like this hobby, there are other hobbies a lot more rewarding.."

I quickly answered... that not everyone can keep a saltwater fish tank, that's one reward.
Second coral options / growth, fish tranquility, keeps you busy, chemistry, troubleshooting.
It's a super stimulating hobby.

I chose to not agree with his negativity, being able to show the fruits of my effort was what pushed me to be confident on why I love this hobby. - He said "pretty cool.."

Stay positive reef fam!!
I get the same reaction from some of my friends. Probably doesn't help that I have a tendency to go on long rant and over explain things when someone asks "how are your fish?"... Its stimulating and rewarding

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been stuck in hobby depression for awhile, had a heater malfunction and never could figure out why my corals were looking awful for awhile, thankfully didn’t lose any. But my corals still haven’t full recovered, and everything look bleh in my tank. And im working three jobs didn’t help. No time at all for my tank basically, so just trying figure out why my tank won’t pick back up. I think once my corals start coming back and I finally able keep my dream fish (blue stripe pipefish) which I know ain’t easy. I think I’ll start getting out of it hopefully. But about try make some changes to help my tank hopefully.

Eric Armstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I am depressed... I had to tear everything down... just to move to another state... I tore everything down early and placed everything I loved in homes... 4 months later I am still waiting to move... I miss my coral and fish homies!!! Started up a 2.5 tank just for a mangrove last week, it’s the best I can do!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I am depressed... I had to tear everything down... just to move to another state... I tore everything down early and placed everything I loved in homes... 4 months later I am still waiting to move... I miss my coral and fish homies!!! Started up a 2.5 tank just for a mangrove last week, it’s the best I can do!

Man, I hope your make your move and can get everything set up again soon. I would totally miss my tank if I was In Your shoes. Hang in there and soon your be back to reefing. Take care friend.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting hobby depressed has happened to me a few times over the years. I try to keep things fresh by focusing on different aspects of the hobby beyond husbandry. Research(Under the microscope, visual observations, writing articles), photography, experiments, making new coral frags.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the constant discovery that keeps me fired up. I planned to have a softy only tank...which I have done, if it weren't for the "freebie" SPS that showed up on a clove polyp frag. On top of that, with the recent addition of more hermits and emerald crabs, I discovered that my Alk has been dropping into the 6's. Calcium was really low too. I am now seriously exploring dosing Kalkwasser. I intended to never dose with a softy only tank. Well, with this info, I am actually excited at the prospect of now dipping my toe into that "dosing" world. Water changes are no longer solving the depletion of alk and calcium. What a fun "problem" to have. Ha!
Look into polyplab One. It works great on my tank. Alk has been rock solid stable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back