HOBBY GRADE TEST KITS CAN OUTPERFORM ICP MEASUREMENTS…REALLY??

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be nice! I do enjoy testing, but I’m not sure why. I used to hate it. I think I realized that when I’m testing the chemistry things tend to go way smoother. Lol
By the way one of my Reefing Buddies told me that this (Loving Testing) was a sign of a serious illness ...he would not say what it was:face-with-tears-of-joy:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you....Totally agree ....Stability is very critical....but how do I know that I am stable without a measurement?...
I think the hobby would first need to quantifiably define what stability is. It's an often stated goal for successful reef keeping, but it has no real definition. How much can each an every parameter and element vary, and over what time period before being detrimental? What industry body is going to come up with and publish "standards of stability"? What results in an ICP test just dont matter? Or should every "red flag" that the testing company has defined be cause for panick and a tank emergency post?

The PO4 is in my tank has tested ~0.3ppm (+/- 0.05) for many many months, is this stable? My corals are growing and have good color, so I would say yes. But we are also told that 0.3ppm is above target levels and bad. Can something be above or below target levels, but still be OK since it's stable?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not going to say "You are my Father" are you :flushed-face: ...Actually I do not at all see it as the Dark Side...I see it as a side the needs "Illumination"...I think Christoph lit the first candle in his post in July...it would be very "Illuminating" if others would follow suit and it would become a feature of each report...Just my take

Completely agree.

I’m selling frags constantly, because the corals are growing and thriving. So for me it’s logical to be able to act on more data. I don’t believe I could have the same success personally without strong chemistry. I always had some issues here and there before.

IMG_0826.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way one of my Reefing Buddies told me that this (Loving Testing) was a sign of a serious illness ...he would not say what it was:face-with-tears-of-joy:

You have got to test or eventually something will happen with the nutrients or a certain element that will end up causing some issues. Nothing good ever comes from not testing a reef tank. The longer you go in between testing the more likely it is that you encounter problems. You have to learn to do some testing and like it. :)

I just put on a good YouTube video and pour me a coffee, and get into it.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hobby would first need to quantifiably define what stability is. It's an often stated goal for successful reef keeping, but it has no real definition. How much can each an every parameter and element vary, and over what time period before being detrimental? What industry body is going to come up with and publish "standards of stability"? What results in an ICP test just dont matter? Or should every "red flag" that the testing company has defined be cause for panick and a tank emergency post?

The PO4 is in my tank has tested ~0.3ppm (+/- 0.05) for many many months, is this stable? My corals are growing and have good color, so I would say yes. But we are also told that 0.3ppm is above target levels and bad. Can something be above or below target levels, but still be OK since it's stable?
I think the mantra of "stability " comes from the wide variety of successful systems and the adaptability of corals. People have had many successful systems over the years while doing minimal but routine maintenance and some corals thrive in their systems. Of course a lot of organisms don't adapt and they end up as food for the survivors. "Stability " is thrown around when we can't define the common parameters of success, and that is our observed lowest common denominator. Stability comes in many forms and success comes in many forms.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can each an every parameter and element vary, and over what time period before being detrimental?
They can actually vary quite a lot, but just because they’re not dying we shouldn’t let it continue like that. I think keeping most elements in a more desirable range is the best way to go. Some might say…well who gets to decide what the most desirable range is? I’d would answer that by first looking at the ocean values, but keeping in mind that the ocean has very low levels with a lot of elements, but also a ton of food and nutrition available 24/7. It’s my opinion that in our reef tanks need higher values of not only trace elements, but also N&P because our environment is so poor when it comes to food/nutrition availability. I feel like the higher nutrients and trace elements help the corals to color up and thrive more. So my next place to look for those ranges are with those who have been in the hobby a long time, and have contacts with some of the bigger players in the game who do this for a living. They may lack peer reviewed data, but what they do offer is anecdotal data and observations that date back for 20, 30, or 40 years of reefing. Take a guys like Therman, Meckley, or Andre… It’s those guys that I’m also listening very carefully to about what they say. The next place is to speak with or observe some of the target ranges listed by all the ICP companies. This can be a little deceptive, but I’m not going to get into why right now. However, most still have some good data available to look at or offer expiations as to why they have set these target ranges where they did. I’m speaking of people like OCEAMO, ATI, Triton, Fauna, Reef Labs, etc. For me, I look at all the target ranges and consider everything as a whole. Of course it takes some experimenting, but I think at this point i’ve seen enough in my own system to know that what we’re doing is working quite well.

One of the reasons why I started to follow Andre’s method was because he always kicks my butt growing corals, and when I first met this guy about 10 years ago he was already playing with trace elements back then. I’m not even joking. I remember he had this one coral in a Nano frag tank plumbed into his display that had the craziest looking colors I’d ever seen at the time. I was like what the heck is that? He’s like, oh…don’t look at that one I was experimenting with Iron and overdosed a little. Some of you may know or remember Diesel here on R2R. He’s local here in Houston with us. He had some pretty nice acro colonies with excellent colors, and I remember Andre always very intrigued with his coloration and taking to Diesel about it. Diesel always told everybody that the “Diesel Brew” was his secret to those colors. I never saw his tank until the very end, but many went over there when his tank was packed full of beautiful acro colonies, and I used to hear how nice it was all the time. Andre turned into a wizard and that’s kinda how we all got started with ICP testing, corrections, etc., and what is now called the moonshine method. Many people are having great success and now that we have ICP-MS it will be better than ever before.

PO4 is really a subjective topic and here’s why. It really depends on what’s going on in the system, light, age, rock, macro’s, etc. there’s just so many variables that can only be navigated through by experience. IMO, if you’re loosing color or PE it might be a good idea to check PO4 and dose up. That target range can be different in every system. I’d say for me I like mine about .08-0.15 or so with NO3 at 100:1 with it. Hanz likes the 10-14:1 ratio at lower levels and it seems to be working for him. A lot of stick heads run higher and have good results. It really just depends what you like and if the corals are doing well.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the Diesel tank @Diesel and the “Diesel brew” I never saw his tank at its peak, but I did catch him just before he took the system down. I was glad to have a video for good memories of the “Diesel tank” even though all the acros were sold and removed. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, can you guys give me the test date and number on that OCEAMO analysis. It would be helpful to know if that was done on the old or new IC system.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The accuracy of Hanna published data is +/- 5ppb, half of the added spike of 20ppb.
And you'll find that our error bars - based on our measurement variations - in the chart for P is appropriately beefy.
Let me stir the hornets nest, in my opinion Hanna checker is a toy, nice toy but it just cannot compete with dedicated lab grade equipment in the sub 20ppb range. I m sure Oceamo is not using Hanna egg checker.
agree that Oceamo's PO4 test is superior. It has a super long cell (like 3x the water length of our cuvettes) for better precision and sensitivity.
But the "toy egg" for PO4 is really good too. See here.
Here's a quick look at some data for those who want to see what the hanna P test does vs calculated stock additions, and how it compares to hanna uncertainty statements.
Hanna's accuracy statement for the ULR P checker is "+-5ppb +-5% of reading" without any clarity as to whether you should take the larger of the two uncertainties or add them.

First, here's one I did with new Instant Ocean spiked with Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. This was measured a day after the spike.
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.51.25 AM.png

The error bars shown are +-5ppb, and the black line is the Ideal case if I make perfect solutions, the stock product is completely accurate, and there no loss in the sample.

Here's me spiking my tank water with known additions of monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) - blue data.
The yellow data points are what happened when I tried to run it in straight distilled water (spiked with P) - it seems to fail completely.
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.03.32 AM.png

(error bars here are +-5%)

And after seeing the failure with straight distilled water, I wanted to know for sure if I could get away with diluting saltwater with distilled (which has seemed to work for me before). Tagging @Dan_P and @Rick Mathew on this one.

Tank water, spiked with P, diluted from 100% to 80%, 60% etc with distilled water. Seems to work fine, and you can likely get away with diluting an out of range tank water sample by 1/2 or 1/4 with distilled water, and the hanna test will still give pretty much expected results. Just don't run it in straight distilled water.
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.11.31 AM.png

(error bars +-5ppb)

If you take the common interpretation of of hanna's accuracy statement: "+-5ppb" or "+-5%" whichever is larger, then the accuracy statement covers almost all the data above, as seen by the error bars. If you take the more conservative interpretation to add +-5ppb and +-5%, then all points shown above fall inside, even with whatever unknown errors are hiding in my sample mixing, or stock purity, or loss in the sample.

Overall, the hanna ULR P kit is the most impressive chemical test in the hobby, IMO.

Doesn't this just prove that a test that tests for one specific thing is better at testing for that one specific thing than a generalized test that tests for everything is? Results really shouldn't be that shocking.
That logic is indeed reasonable. If you have the right tool for a specific purpose and you know how to use it, it's unlikely that a general do-everything system or service will give you better result for that one specific purpose.
But it's worth it to check that assumption with data. So here we are :)

Props to yall for this but any chemist could have told you that its not even close to being accurate. This hobby is about STABILITY not numbers.
Right, I find the general way people like Craig Bingman talk about chemical methods with great confidence and ICP with caution to be illuminating. @rtparty experienced the same thing talking to professional analytical types about the enormous cost and effort it would take to actually know the things with the confidence we sometimes pretend we can know from an ICP test.
What it tells us for the price is impressive and good for most of our needs, but just don't go crazy with it and throw out your trusted chem tests (and observational experience).

Rick, can you guys give me the test date and number on that OCEAMO analysis.
Test was done on May 11. Sent some info to Christoph.

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to think about, I will have to read a couple of times. Thank you for the hard work and effort put into this, well done!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What it tells us for the price is impressive and good for most of our needs, but just don't go crazy with it and throw out your trusted chem tests (and observational experience).

I agree with that. High quality analytical testing is very expensive. To think that one can get very high quality data for dozens of different analytes for one low cost is asking a lot. As I've mentioned in other threads, I routinely outsource analytical testing of various sorts, and $100 for a single analyte in a single sample, even when submitting dozens of the same types of samples, is not unusual.

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand your disappointment... but the good news is with a little bit of practice you can get really good results with your hobby grade test kits. Definitely fit for use results.
Super interesting. Thanks for the work. I've searched a bit but could not find any hint. Would be nice to have a post where you explain what is the good husbandry to maintain to "perfectly" realaise a test like Hanna checker or salifert?

I think that would be good for many noob like me. Like i was always worried my checker was off. I could not understand why 10gr of measured (precision scale) water didn't matched the 10ml mark. I've later found out that i was filling it up wrongly, as soon i've started to fill up to the bottom line of the meniscus the 10gr were on the spot with the 10ml mark. Same with the syringe or with the infamous "empty part" on the 1ml syringe. (i still wonder why sometimes the liquid start at 0.85ml, sometimes at 0.87 or 0.83 or anything in between.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with the syringe or with the infamous "empty part" on the 1ml syringe. (i still wonder why sometimes the liquid start at 0.85ml, sometimes at 0.87 or 0.83 or anything in between.

The air volume inside a syringe pulling up liquid reflects the air volume in the tip. How hard/how far you push the tip onto the syringe barrel can impact the air volume included in the "tip volume".

In general, I show how to use a syringe here:

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super interesting. Thanks for the work. I've searched a bit but could not find any hint. Would be nice to have a post where you explain what is the good husbandry to maintain to "perfectly" realaise a test like Hanna checker or salifert?

I think that would be good for many noob like me. Like i was always worried my checker was off. I could not understand why 10gr of measured (precision scale) water didn't matched the 10ml mark. I've later found out that i was filling it up wrongly, as soon i've started to fill up to the bottom line of the meniscus the 10gr were on the spot with the 10ml mark. Same with the syringe or with the infamous "empty part" on the 1ml syringe. (i still wonder why sometimes the liquid start at 0.85ml, sometimes at 0.87 or 0.83 or anything in between.
This is a good observation and it points to the bigger issue of why when we use hobby grade test we often get large variability. Most of us are not trained in good laboratory practices and these very small things (and there are many of them) add up to some significant variability..Errors generally don't compensate they accumulate. You might find the series (4) of articles titled "GETTING IT RIGHT" to be helpful ...here is a link to the article page where all 4 are located

JoeBart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, there is a lot to digest here. Fantastic work, Thank you!
The timing of this showing up on my radar is impeccable. I've been reviewing my latest ICP (ATI) results and trying to reconcile the results against my Hanna and Salfert tests. ICP has Zinc, Iron, Nitrate, and Phosphate high. My home tests have them slightly elevated. An example is Nitrate on my Hanna HI782 average of 3 tests 6.1 ppm, ICP has it at 23.43 mg/l (24.43 ppm).

If I reacted to the ICP results it seems I would be taking unnecessary, large steps to correct the issues. I'm having trust issues at this point.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An example is Nitrate on my Hanna HI782 average of 3 tests 6.1 ppm, ICP has it at 23.43 mg/l (24.43 ppm).
Just my opinion, but few things to consider. I do use the same Hanna egg, I like the toy.

NO3 is not measured by ICP.
The lab is performing some other type of test to get this value for you Not the ICP machine.

The Hanna egg accuracy is +/- 2 ppm so your actual measurement might be 10 ppm.
1694539007288.png

In my opinion regardless of the source I would not be doing any sudden changes to NO3 based on the Hanna or the ICP company result. I would watch a trend and see if it is going up or down.

Some thing to consider, did you take the ICP sample after feeding, before feeding or at the same time you took the Hanna measurement etc…. It is best to measure with Hanna at the same time you take the ICP sample.

From my experience this particular Hanna egg results and the ICP company results I use are consistent. Meaning if the egg is below 5ppm the ICP was as well. I have not seen 10 or 15 ppm delta between ICP report and Hanna. I honestly am interested general trends vs. the absolute value.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found these to be very useful and more accurate

JoeBart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, on the same page. Hanna test samples and samples for ICP were taken simultaneously from the same place in the system (no feeding). I'm not one to rush any changes and most definitely track trends.
Understanding the accuracy range with Hanna checkers - I was surprised to see the difference between the two tests.

The observable health of the system seems good and stable, with the exception of a 3-year-old RBTA that has shortened tentacles going on 4-5 weeks.

My initial thought is to send for another ICP

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan, I don’t think anybody is trying to argue that you can’t grow corals without sending ICP or dosing trace elements.

My argument is that a system can grow and function better if you have some of these elements present, and more data to act on.
Agree^^^

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back