Holding fish in temp tank

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to keep two fish in a 10 gallon sized tank for about two months. Breaking down my 55 gallon. Do I just put a couple of Pieces of live rock from the old tank and some of the old tank water match salinity and move the fish? Or do I still need to add live bacteria?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be OK. I would check the nitrites every day initially to make sure the rock is enough. And I would check the Alk every day, at least initially (maybe eventually go to every 2-3 days). Alk can drop fast in a setup like that.
If it was me, I'd also do a small water change (1/2 gal perhaps) everyday by siphoning detritus from the bottom.
There shouldn't be a need for bacteria. If there isn't enough already in the rock, then you will have problems even if you add the bacteria because it would need time, like cycling new rock. But, it is already "cycled". The only question would be do you have enough rock, which is the reason for measuring the nitrites for a few days.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back