Holding Tanks for RO water

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey, I'm wondering what brands of containers people use at home to hold their rodi water. I've seen just about everything used over the years but I'm also aware of discussions surrounding plastics that are not chemically inert. I've been looking at agricultural containers from Farm and Feet as well as Rural King and I'd like to find something between 65 and 100 gallons (give or take).

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Chicago I'm sure you can find someone selling 55 gallon food grade barrels cheap on craigslist or something similar. I have 2 that originally held tomato juice or soup I can't remember which. They already had a vinegar smell when I got them and were real easy to clean further with more vinegar.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Smaller then you are looking for but the 55 or so gallon brute trash bins

Thanks for the suggestion. My water change container is a Brute. I should have clarified that I'm looking for something semi-permanent that can accommodate a bulkhead for a drain and has a small or closable top.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
In Chicago I'm sure you can find someone selling 55 gallon food grade barrels cheap on craigslist or something similar. I have 2 that originally held tomato juice or soup I can't remember which. They already had a vinegar smell when I got them and were real easy to clean further with more vinegar.

I once worked at a shop that used these and they worked ok. It's a good option to consider.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two ace rotomold 25 gallon containers from ruralking. They have whatever size you need with a bulkhead already installed.

20171113_125906.jpg

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I picked up two ace rotomold 25 gallon containers from ruralking. They have whatever size you need with a bulkhead already installed.

20171113_125906.jpg

Sweet, I had been looking at these online. This is the direction I wanted to go in. Did you do anything other than rinsing them out before you put them to use?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I had been looking at these online. This is the direction I wanted to go in. Did you do anything other than rinsing them out before you put them to use?

Nope, I just rinsed out with a hose and let dry. I have been using this setup for the last 8 months. I mix salt on one side and store my topoff RODI water in the other. I mix the salt for a couple of hours before using and I haven't even had to clean it. Still looks clean and like new on the inside by doing it this way.

I mix 20 gallons every two weeks for my 200 gallon setup.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any guidelines on what plastics to avoid when storing RODI water?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of my brute trashcans.

I'm not sure what types to avoid, but anything safe for potable water is really the ideal storage vessel.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using brute 32 gallon trash cans for almost 2 years now. I haven't had any issues, though I haven't really tested either. One thing I will note, cleaning them is a pain, and hence I've never done it. But if I were made of money and space for them, I'd get bottom draining ones so I could fully dry and wash them out. I don't know how people with small tops ever get to the insides to scrub. Short of my di water smelling musty from standing a week or two, it's much cleaner than my salt water holding tank which gets crust from precipitation and who knows what else grows in fresh salt water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back