Hole sizes in predrilled tank and effect on GPH/turnover rate

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 215 gallon DT planet aquarium with internal central overflow box. I am building a 92 gallon sump and have received great advice from SBASH on this forum. In the internal overflow I have 2 holes for 3/4" pipe and 2 holes for 1" pipe, 4 total. My hope is to have a mixed coral reef.

Im going with the bean animal style and planning on the main drain being a 1" pipe, the Durso a 1" pipe, the emergency a 3/4" pipe, and the return a 3/4" pipe. It'll be about a 5' lift, add in 2 45s, a T, and 2 yet to be decided line-locs or just 45s into the DT and I figure I have about 9'-10' head pressure.

That all leads me to my dilemma, assuming I need to net at least 1200 GPH turnover (DT is 215 gallon, 215x5= 1,075 GPH...please weigh in if you feel differently here) I figured I'd use a pump like the Hydor Seltz D-Varia Flo 2400 and dial it back as/if needed. Now I'm realizing Im not figuring in the limiting effect of the return pipe size of 3/4", assuming it is limiting, and for that matter the 1" main drain (or the durso or the emergency drain). So theres my conundrum (with more to come Im sure)= What size pump and what really is the max GPH I can run with 1 3/4" return and the above drains with the above head pressure?

Thanks again for any input/opinions!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back