Hollywood stunner, suddenly turning white

FernBluffReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2023
Messages
434
Reaction score
310
Location
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large Hollywood stunner that grows well, is quite large and is so big figured would eventually have to frag.

Until the last couple days when a section seems to have suddenly died.

Wife’s rose colored glasses is she wants to think it’s doing this to start a new plate but I disagree. True plates once shaded will die off but this isn’t shaded yet.

Thoughts. Only change in last couple days is cleaning power heads so flow is up but that isn’t unusual. Water tested last Saturday morning. Water change the week before. Stable system

IDG_20260512_175041_803.jpeg IMG_9878.png
 
Last edited:
I have a large Hollywood stunner that grows well, is quite large and is so big figured would eventually have to frag.

Until the last couple days when a section seems to have suddenly died.

Wife’s rose colored glasses is she wants to think it’s doing this to start a new plate but I disagree. True plates once shaded will die off but this isn’t shaded yet.

Thoughts. Only change in last couple days is cleaning power heads so flow is up but that isn’t unusual. Water tested last Saturday morning. Water change the week before. Stable system

IDG_20260512_175041_803.jpeg IMG_9878.png
Sorry to hear that :-( Did you change anything in the past? Looking at your parameters, but they seem fine and close to mine. To this, the acros seem to be doing well.

Could it be that the Gobiodon okinawae picks at the polyps?
 
Sorry to hear that :-( Did you change anything in the past? Looking at your parameters, but they seem fine and close to mine. To this, the acros seem to be doing well.

Could it be that the Gobiodon okinawae picks at the polyps?

Thanks for replying. Tank is stable and nothing really has changed. The clown goby, yeah it was interesting that he happened to be hanging out there last night - I don’t recall him ever really hanging out in the stunner. He’s usually hanging out in the SPS which as you noted seem fine.

This seems to have been a really sudden event and nothing else in the tank appears to be affected. Sudden in that last 48 hours - I first noticed last night. Wife says she noticed the day before.

Only recent change is the powerheads were cleaned this weekend so the flow is considerably higher as
I’m late to cleaning them, but that happens every time the powerheads are cleaned and has never been an issue for the stunner. Gonis and things like at sometimes react to the increased flow but the stunner never has and the Gonis are happy.

I lost one head of a torch ~10 days ago, but that happens and I have 30 or so heads that are fine, Gonis fine, nems etc. just the one side of the stunner all of a sudden up and died and I’m unsure why. Sudden deaths or a significant chunk of coral of course makes me worry if it’s a canary in the coal mine situation or what so always seek to understand if possible.

The most recent parts of the stunner dying looking like having a white fuzz - the rest of the stunner happy, extended etc Hopefully it doesn’t spread
 
Hmm, based on what I see and read from you, I guess it's just a random coral-dying event. A friend of mine has no problems with any coral (acro, goni, etc.), but the montipora plates are dying off and also turning white at the edges in his 2500 l tank.

Personally, I don't think it's due to the pump being cleaned, but rather a random, unfortunate event. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new