Holy Heck! Meganthias?!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
3,884
Reaction score
4,283
Location
Bay Area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I could gather, Meganthias live in relatively deep, cold water, but could you image setting up a temperate reef for one of these fish?!
Edit: Yes, these really are gargantuan Anthias of the subfamily Anthiinae.
Meganthias grow to 20-40 cm (7.9-15.7 in) SL.
 
Last edited:
From what I could gather, Meganthias live in relatively deep, cold water, but could you image setting up a temperate reef for one of these fish?!
Meganthias grow to 20-40 cm (7.9-15.7 in) SL.

That fish is much longer then 15”??
 
That fish is much longer then 15”??
I am no expert in fish measurement, but, to my knowledge, SL (used in the resources on Meganthias I found) measures the length of a fish's body from the tip of its snout to "the posterior end of the last vertebra or to the posterior end of the midlateral portion of the hypural plate." On the other hand, TL includes the fish's caudal fin.
 
They are giant Anthias (Anthiinae)...
... and giant is definitely an understatement :D
Haha, whoops - forgot Anthias were Serranids; I was thinking specifically like giant lyretail anthias though.

Super cool fish (and a very lucky fisherman)!
 
I am no expert in fish measurement, but, to my knowledge, SL (used in the resources on Meganthias I found) measures the length of a fish's body from the tip of its snout to "the posterior end of the last vertebra or to the posterior end of the midlateral portion of the hypural plate." On the other hand, TL includes the fish's caudal fin.
Even then and accounting for perspective (I mean look at the guys right hand). It looks much bigger but since it is a truly rare fish the max size could be well off from lack of data.
 
Even then and accounting for perspective (I mean look at the guys right hand). It looks much bigger but since it is a truly rare fish the max size could be well off from lack of data.
Idk, if he's enough of an angler to end up catching one of these, he's probably a massive pro at making a mountain out of a minnow in his catch photos.
 
From what I could gather, Meganthias live in relatively deep, cold water, but could you image setting up a temperate reef for one of these fish?!
Edit: Yes, these really are gargantuan Anthias of the subfamily Anthiinae.
Meganthias grow to 20-40 cm (7.9-15.7 in) SL.

That is one big fish
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new