Homemade Alkalinity Additive

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an alk drop, due to lack of maintenance. My dKH level was down to 6.7. I have never had to dose for alk because my water changes were good enough to keep it stable, 10 percent every week. The more corals I add and the less water I changes I do, well you get the picture. I found that I can add a homemade mix of soda ash and baking soda. I make the soda ash by baking the baking soda at 350 for 30 minutes. Then mix 1 part soda ash to 6 parts baking soda. That ratio makes a PH of about 8.0. The post I read said to dose 1 teaspoon for every 25 gal of water to raise your levels by 1 dKH. I found that to be too much. That amount raised my level 2.4 to 9.1 dKH overnight. All my corals and fish appear to be ok though. So I recommend dosing 1 teaspoon per 50 gal. What do you think, would you use this?

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can find a way to accurately measure what you're dosing I don't see why not! Personally I use a 2 (well, 3) part from BRS but there are plenty out there who use homemade additives.

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of doing this as soon as my BRS 2 part runs out. I got a 13.5lb bag of baking soda from Sams club for $5. I also got a 50# bag of the Peladow on hold to pick up local for the Calcium.

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a digital scale for measuring and homemade is cheap. More money for corals !!!

Cook it longer, got it. That's a long article I will read it though. Thanks

Peladow, hmmm, now where can I get some of that in Florida.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my Calcium Chloride from the local Ready Mix Concrete plant. I work construction and asked one of the drivers for some and he brought me a 50 lb. bag for free. I called the plant and they want $11.00 for it. The bag says it's 98%. I have been using it for months and it works great.

Big Country

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the BRS additives but am almost out, except for enough soda ash to make 1 more gallon of ALK. I finally found a 50# bag of Dead Sea Works Magflake at Southern States this weekend am going to go back and look for the Calcium Chloride that RHF recommends next time I'm over there, I think I remember them having the ESV brand

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells sodium bicarbonate for one of their 2/3 part recipes, so not really that much different, good investigative science Gary

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info, I have been getting premixed Alk from a local reefer but I feel bad bumming it off of him so when I run out I will be trying this. Since my tank just soaks up the Alk it will be sooner than later.

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to here you made your own. What ratio of baking soda and soda ash do you use? Once you figure how much to dose it's great. As for the price, ya can't beat it.

Right now I am using Liquid Reef by Brightwell for my Ca. I dose a cap full once a week. Between that and water changes my Ca stays around 450.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back