homemade fish food?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody made homemade fish food for clownfish, pajama cardinals, ETC... and if so what are they made out of

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anybody made homemade fish food for clownfish, pajama cardinals, ETC... and if so what are they made out of
I have - using ground shrimp (peeled), whitefish, Nori, Egg, and flake food) - mixed, put into a plastic bag - and flattened and frozen. The egg helps keep things bound to getter - plus increases the protein. But - I guess I would ask (which is what I asked myself) - what is the rationale? It might be a bit 'cheaper' - perhaps not if you take in your time. I also read an article suggesting that it is extremely difficult for hobbyists to design home-made fish food that contains a balanced/correct diet - and this particular article (and it wasn't sponsored by a food company) - suggested that home-made food should be a 'treat' - while using a variety of purchased foods. I believe also that at least a couple aquariums (public) provide recipes for various types of fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have - using ground shrimp (peeled), whitefish, Nori, Egg, and flake food) - mixed, put into a plastic bag - and flattened and frozen. The egg helps keep things bound to getter - plus increases the protein. But - I guess I would ask (which is what I asked myself) - what is the rationale? It might be a bit 'cheaper' - perhaps not if you take in your time. I also read an article suggesting that it is extremely difficult for hobbyists to design home-made fish food that contains a balanced/correct diet - and this particular article (and it wasn't sponsored by a food company) - suggested that home-made food should be a 'treat' - while using a variety of purchased foods. I believe also that at least a couple aquariums (public) provide recipes for various types of fish. Good luck!
thank you but i think ill stick to pellets cause there easy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you but i think ill stick to pellets cause there easy.
its actually kind of fun to make - and probably is beneficial. IMHO - the key is balance. BTW - this same article also mentioned its a good idea to use varied Dry foods as well (i.e. not constantly the same 'recipe' of pellets.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS actually has easy DIY recipe for fish food that supplements everything in your tank. Mixed up a bunch over a year ago and have steady been feeding tank. Still have probably another 3 months worth remaining. I have several Cardinals, clowns, tangs, Anthias that have all been healthy and growing. Probably cost me about $120.00 to buy ingredients which may sound high but, It feeds my coral, inverts, and fish. It's all pure ingredients, isn't filled with excess water and doesn't drive my NO3 and PO4 ski high. Additionally you can tailor recipe to your needs, fish only, or the whole package of tank needs.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I hire you to make my food the next time I run out? In your house? :D
I gave up on it - due to the hassle - and I was never sure I was doing the correct proportions. There are many recipes out there - and who knows which one is 'best'. So - the answer - no thanks lol:)

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homemade is absolutely disgusting, but really easy to make and your fish will love it. I don't quarantaine and one thing I've noticed, is both less sick fish and if one does catch anything, they recover very quickly. Been feeding homemade for about 6 months now. No pellets or flake food at all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back