Hon-Kit's SPS aquarium

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, grats on that man. I'm trying to figure out how much space I should space out my frags. I like the packed look you have in your tank. Whats the average distance between these corals when they were frags? I keep hearing 5-6" but obviously thats not the case with you.

OP
OP
H

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

All my SPS corals were grown from either small colonies or frags. The frag scene in Singapore where I reside isn't exactly thriving and colonies are far more popular and widely available - however, I try to get hold of frags in preference to colonies as much as I can especially for the prized ones.

It's best if one has 6 inches between SPS corals but being the SPS coraholic that I am, I place mine a lot closer to each other and interestingly most SPS species do eventually accommodate each other as they grow out after some battles.

OP
OP
H

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a superman montipora, that's the designer name - I am unsure which montipora species it is though.

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great SPS tank!!! Do you clip SPS so they don't grow into each other, or do they just grow around one another? I have always clipped when they start to get close, because I haven't wanted them to touch, but it looks like yours are growing around each other. Great Tank!!!

OP
OP
H

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't often snip my SPS corals as I like to see them in an overgrown "mess" similar to what one can see in actual reefs. Some species do merge in an enmeshed form and others grow around and avoid each other.

My tank is a 90 gallon display with approximately 105 gallons of water including the sump.

OP
OP
H

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank shot taken with my ipad air. The colours are a bit off due to the limitations of the ipad camera.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back