Hopefully helpful to someone, or maybe just me ranting.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to throw this out there. If you ever have a fish die, and you don't know what caused it, a necropsy can be extremely helpful in determining cause of death. I routinely perform necropsies on any fish I lose, especially if I'm not able to determine cause of death by appearance alone.

My new moorish idol decided to crash and burn yesterday, going from brightly colored, swimming normally and eating well, to barely able to balance in the water and no longer eating. By this morning, it couldn't even swim, and was being blown around by the current from the HOB filter on the quarantine. I decided to euthanize the fish, and took it to the veterinary clinic I work at to perform a necropsy.

First, I performed a skin scraping and gill clipping to look for signs of parasites, such as ich, velvet, and especially flukes. The fish was negative for those issues. Gill color was also good and the tissue was in good shape, i.e no signs of ammonia burn and the fish was not anemic.

Next, the thorax and abdominal cavity were opened via an incision starting at the vent and going up across the sternum to expose the internal organs. The heart, liver, and intestines looked completely normal. The stomach was nice and plump, still full of the nori and mysis shrimp that the fish had been consuming up until yesterday.

What was most interesting, and the key finding of the necropsy, was that both kidneys were basically gone. They had atrophied and rotted away to a black sludge material. This, along with the fact that the coloration of the fish did not fade post mortem, are indicative of cyanide being used to collect the fish for the aquarium trade. These fish often appear in good health, brightly colored, and relatively alert. Some eat well, some will never eat in captivity. But as a general rule, almost all of them collected with cyanide die within 30 days. Usually the fish do relatively well for the first week or so, then begin to crash.

Purchasing fish from areas of the world like Kenya, the Maldives, Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Japan, Mexico, or the Caribbean can help avoid these issues since these places ban the use of cyanide collection. In the case of fish with a wide distribution, like the moorish idol in this case, according to the online retailer, it was imported from Africa, where cyanide is not normally used. However, based on the results of the necropsy, the current availability of fish from the same vendor out of the Philippines and Indonesia, where cyanide use is still prevalent, and the fact that fish I received from this particular vendor have repeatedly been in poor shape and quickly passed away, or been DOA, it would lead me to believe the fish was falsely advertised as coming from an area where cyanide is not used, as a way to increase sales.

Work with your LFS to support better collection and care practices of the fish we keep as pets. Support stores that work with wholesalers that take the time to bring in healthy livestock from areas of the world that actually care about their reefs and the animals that live there, and their survival after importation for the aquarium hobby. Many wholesalers, like Quality Marine, have MAC certified fish available, or have clear locales listed for where the fish are collected from. This allows you to order fish from sustainable fisheries, and support the health of the wild reefs, and improves your chances of success with the fish in your aquarium long term.

I will keep a moorish idol again, but this time I will acquire the fish through a LFS where I can see the fish in person before purchasing, and make sure it was acquired from a reputable, sustainable wholesaler.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I had no idea that using cyanide to gather fish was even a thing. That's horrific. Thanks for posting this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just want to throw this out there. If you ever have a fish die, and you don't know what caused it, a necropsy can be extremely helpful in determining cause of death. I routinely perform necropsies on any fish I lose, especially if I'm not able to determine cause of death by appearance alone.

My new moorish idol decided to crash and burn yesterday, going from brightly colored, swimming normally and eating well, to barely able to balance in the water and no longer eating. By this morning, it couldn't even swim, and was being blown around by the current from the HOB filter on the quarantine. I decided to euthanize the fish, and took it to the veterinary clinic I work at to perform a necropsy.

First, I performed a skin scraping and gill clipping to look for signs of parasites, such as ich, velvet, and especially flukes. The fish was negative for those issues. Gill color was also good and the tissue was in good shape, i.e no signs of ammonia burn and the fish was not anemic.

Next, the thorax and abdominal cavity were opened via an incision starting at the vent and going up across the sternum to expose the internal organs. The heart, liver, and intestines looked completely normal. The stomach was nice and plump, still full of the nori and mysis shrimp that the fish had been consuming up until yesterday.

What was most interesting, and the key finding of the necropsy, was that both kidneys were basically gone. They had atrophied and rotted away to a black sludge material. This, along with the fact that the coloration of the fish did not fade post mortem, are indicative of cyanide being used to collect the fish for the aquarium trade. These fish often appear in good health, brightly colored, and relatively alert. Some eat well, some will never eat in captivity. But as a general rule, almost all of them collected with cyanide die within 30 days. Usually the fish do relatively well for the first week or so, then begin to crash.

Purchasing fish from areas of the world like Kenya, the Maldives, Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Japan, Mexico, or the Caribbean can help avoid these issues since these places ban the use of cyanide collection. In the case of fish with a wide distribution, like the moorish idol in this case, according to the online retailer, it was imported from Africa, where cyanide is not normally used. However, based on the results of the necropsy, the current availability of fish from the same vendor out of the Philippines and Indonesia, where cyanide use is still prevalent, and the fact that fish I received from this particular vendor have repeatedly been in poor shape and quickly passed away, or been DOA, it would lead me to believe the fish was falsely advertised as coming from an area where cyanide is not used, as a way to increase sales.

Work with your LFS to support better collection and care practices of the fish we keep as pets. Support stores that work with wholesalers that take the time to bring in healthy livestock from areas of the world that actually care about their reefs and the animals that live there, and their survival after importation for the aquarium hobby. Many wholesalers, like Quality Marine, have MAC certified fish available, or have clear locales listed for where the fish are collected from. This allows you to order fish from sustainable fisheries, and support the health of the wild reefs, and improves your chances of success with the fish in your aquarium long term.

I will keep a moorish idol again, but this time I will acquire the fish through a LFS where I can see the fish in person before purchasing, and make sure it was acquired from a reputable, sustainable wholesaler.
This has been going on for some time and we are seeing Naso Tang from Sri Lanka, convict tang from phillipines and several species from Africa with various conditions and behaviors in which they will not eat and are feeding off their livers until point of death

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's terrible to hear. Its not the first time I've heard this and I've dealt with it also. I've been keeping some sort of fish tanks most of my life. Currently I keep Erpetoichthys calabaricus or the ropefish. I have 14 that have been with me for many years the newest has been in my care 3 years. These are from the Congo river and its tributaries. All are wild caught in various ways but cyanide is one way, soap is another not sure how that works, there are a lot of mortalities. Unfortunately they don't usually have a catch locality or who caught them available. They have bred in captivity but raising the offspring has been impossible I guess. I believe mine had a breeding event but at the time they were in a tank with many other fish so if they did no eggs were found. Its not my main goal to breed them and prove anything (if they do breed ill try my best) I just like their smiling little faces.

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been going on for some time and we are seeing Naso Tang from Sri Lanka, convict tang from phillipines and several species from Africa with various conditions and behaviors in which they will not eat and are feeding off their livers until point of death
So hopefully we all band together as a hobby and stop supporting fish collection in those areas. I personally don't buy most Philippine fish or Sri Lankan fish because I've had bad experiences in the past. Cebu, being the exception to other Philippine fish, since they seem to be much more strict on collection and the fish always seem to do well.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vaguely recollect that 40-something years ago there was a cyanide detection method that involved taking the dead fish, whipping it up in a blender (preferably a Super Bass-O-Matic*) and running a cyanide chemical test on the remains.

Another indicator was venturing to the Philippines and finding the diver who caught the fish. If his/her hair was orange-red, then he/she was a cyanide-using collector. A locale indicator was the fact that in the southern Philippines the divers were mostly Muslim, and had a greater respect for the marine ecosystem than their northern collector brethren, and so chose not to use cyanide. What is cyanide doing in the Philippines? It is readily available as it is used in the mining industry there. Some will tell you that the cyanide was distributed to the collectors by the owners of fish exporting businesses...

*Ooops, I'm showing my age...

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vaguely recollect that 40-something years ago there was a cyanide detection method that involved taking the dead fish, whipping it up in a blender (preferably a Super Bass-O-Matic*) and running a cyanide chemical test on the remains.

Another indicator was venturing to the Philippines and finding the diver who caught the fish. If his/her hair was orange-red, then he/she was a cyanide-using collector. A locale indicator was the fact that in the southern Philippines the divers were mostly Muslim, and had a greater respect for the marine ecosystem than their northern collector brethren, and so chose not to use cyanide. What is cyanide doing in the Philippines? It is readily available as it is used in the mining industry there. Some will tell you that the cyanide was distributed to the collectors by the owners of fish exporting businesses...

*Ooops, I'm showing my age...
The fish slurry sounds crazy for cyanide detection. I wonder who thought of that.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish slurry sounds crazy for cyanide detection. I wonder who thought of that.

I don't recall if the SNL "Super Bass-O-Matic" skit (with either John Belushi and/or Dan Aykroyd) preceded the cyanide test method. I'd guess now that it didn't - I can't locate the date that the skit originally aired.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any of you in our hobby who would like to eliminate cyanide use in the collection of specimens for our use, I wish you luck! I was once a member of the Windows to the Sea M.A.S. (We held MACNA 3 at the airport in Newark, NJ.) We donated some of our MACNA profits for ongoing efforts in the Philippines to facilitate educating collectors on the use of nets vs. the use of cyanide. Unfortunately, some of the people leading that charge in the Philippines actually received death threats...

If any of you chose to join that effort, I wish you all well and Godspeed...

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Fishfreak2009 it's horrid to hear this, and that some collectors are still doing this..........

CLFishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the information. You just helped me understand that as a fish keeper, it’s not always my fault.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how are we supposed to know where the fish we purchase came from, take the sellers word for it, i dont think so. there should be some kind of collection document that the lfs puts on the tank for each shipment.
this has been going on since the 80's [that i remember, maybe longer] and i dont think it will stop. buying fish is a risk unless captive bred. if they die suddenly you know why and buy from a differant source.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back