Horseshoe Crab Molt

Jimbo Bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Messages
28
Reaction score
11
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this the other day:
18595167_10113891067057154_5361678360324468491_o.jpg

I pulled it out, its not a dead crab, appears to be a molt (silver dollar size). Couldn't find any posts on it so I thought I would post my experience.
90gal reef, about an inch of sand.
Horseshoe crab added to the system on 9/30/16.
He was very visible for the first couple months, then disappeared for weeks without any sand disturbance. Last time I saw a moving sand ripple was 3/10/17. Found this molt 5/21/17 near an area of sand disturbance. I've never feed him directly. He must be doing well enough to keep growing. The tank/sand has been running for a year and a half before he was introduced. I don't have any sand sifting critters in the tank.
 
I came across this the other day:
18595167_10113891067057154_5361678360324468491_o.jpg

I pulled it out, its not a dead crab, appears to be a molt (silver dollar size). Couldn't find any posts on it so I thought I would post my experience.
90gal reef, about an inch of sand.
Horseshoe crab added to the system on 9/30/16.
He was very visible for the first couple months, then disappeared for weeks without any sand disturbance. Last time I saw a moving sand ripple was 3/10/17. Found this molt 5/21/17 near an area of sand disturbance. I've never feed him directly. He must be doing well enough to keep growing. The tank/sand has been running for a year and a half before he was introduced. I don't have any sand sifting critters in the tank.

He's still in there somewhere.
I wish people would stop buying horseshoe crabs, they're horrible additions to a tank lol
 
Found another molt on 10/10. Here are both size by side. Its grown a lot in 4 months.
The molts dry out in a couple days.
22496126_10115247018779034_6950597695352268533_o.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new