Hot water RODI Emergency.

  • Thread starter Thread starter iReefer12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iReefer12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
1,018
Reaction score
877
Location
Boulder, CO
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well. Started refilling my RO reservoir tonight and my fiancé turned the tap off to use it then turned it back on but mistakenly turned on the Hot water.

5 hours at max full hot water, not sure what temp that is but cannot be good, the reservoir feels warm to the touch.

So... What's the damage?

My water output still measures 1 tds

My concerns are other elements exposed to the hot water melting and leaching into the water.

Will the RO tubing from the RODI unit to the water reservoir be damaged and compromised?

I plan on changing the filters ASAP. And I'm not letting any of the current water in the reservoir touch my display tanks

Any help is appreciated
 
That's a relief, the tubing runs though a wall and under some carpet, would have been a nightmare to change it out.

I'm gonna replace all my RODI filter cartridges, just don't want to risk it.
 
What is your tap water TDS, RO only TDS and RO/DI TDS?
RO membranes are an extremely thin sheet of plastic fabric, thinner than plastic sandwich wrap wound around a inner core and damaged by anything over 113 degrees F which isn't all that hot really.

If you notice the production has gone up or the rejection rate has gone down or both the membrane is shot and in need of replacement.
 
I'm just going to go ahead and replace it, is not too expensive and I'm was near the end of its 3 year span anyway, would have been ticked if it was a fresh one.

RO only was 2ppm and RODI was 1ppm, not sure about Tap.
 
If the proper sediment and carbon filters are used and you have soft water a membrane should last much longer than 3 years. My softened tap TDS is over 650, I use a 0.2 micron absolute rated sediment filter and single 0.5 micron carbon block and my RO membrane is over 7 years old and still at 99.4% removal efficiency.
 
a filter replacement and of course discarding any of the collected water should be fine.
I would change the input of the RODI unit so that it can only receive cold water to avoid this in the future.
 
No need to replace the filters since the hot water did not damage them, that is unless they are at their 6 month replacement interval anyway. I wouldn't dump the water either as it is only 1 TDS which is acceptable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new