Housing an Eel in Sump?

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking the other day, would our juvenile Banana Eel be happy in a well-lit 40G sump? He's been living in our reef tank for about six months now, eats just about anything from a stick and leaves even the smallest fish alone. As well behaved as he is, we would like to restore order and keep a wider range of inverts. While he doesn't eat other fish, they are certainly agitated by his presence. Tangs and wrasses bother him all day, and the smaller fish/gobies are now pretty skittish. Haven't been able to find a another good home for him, so trying to find a solution (permanent or temporary). Our sump is mostly a labyrinth of live rock and macroalgae, obviously would have to find a lid.

Thanks for any input!

Here is Graham, and one of his now "missing" tankmates:

AIL4fc8K6lpl-3rT58xac7OI-xV5is2hnQL21hHb7PQkHFRCenBbHh6q6Fh-UTxEoNB6Ae4iV4Ris90EXta94zeDOMGZatG5CKELUjJVRTejfCiogbs5uCQU=w700-h1080

AIL4fc_QbSfVV8zgYNwSLjJx3eaazEcgQ0pH__qDrYlYji6TRPKB0CjxHcTqLsOrXGmZ0Udy6v8epFFtq2AtJeEzvlNUhBDkkKRjHvsX8zHFfWgmq8CcoHDd=w700-h1080

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, this is a very dynamic eel that needs at least a 6' tank. Eels are also very curious animals that needs stimulation, either from other tank mates or even observing whats happening in outside the tank. If you can not find another home, give it up to a lfs or list here. That is a very popular eel and there should be no problem finding them another home.

OP
OP
M

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, this is a very dynamic eel that needs at least a 6' tank. Eels are also very curious animals that needs stimulation, either from other tank mates or even observing whats happening in outside the tank. If you can not find another home, give it up to a lfs or list here. That is a very popular eel and there should be no problem finding them another home.

Thanks, certainly wouldn't want to create an unfavorable environment for him. During the day he sticks to his cave, but I didn't really think about the stimulation from watching the tank, what's going on outside, more stuff to do at night. A sump would be pretty miserable considering that. Can't really bring myself to give him away, looks like I would need some further tenure to list here.

OP
OP
M

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find him a proper home, no reason to imprison to poor fella because you want a larger CUC.
Thanks, upon reflection a bit selfish of me wanting to keep him somehow. Aside from the $ value, I have been avoiding giving him away for fear of who may end up with him. I posted in the local FB groups, and got a number of concerning inquiries from people very new to the hobby.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a banana eel in a aggressive tank with large triggers and angels! No one bothered him he steals food out of their mouth! Don’t see tangs or wrasses bothering him! What size tank is it? Thanks

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you entertain the idea of setting up a new tank for the eel?

OP
OP
M

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a banana eel in a aggressive tank with large triggers and angels! No one bothered him he steals food out of their mouth! Don’t see tangs or wrasses bothering him! What size tank is it? Thanks
170G, mostly the Gem Tang and Burgess Butterfly harass him during the day. The wrasse actually waits and rips food out of the eels mouth, so I usually wait until the wrasse goes to sleep in the sand. Maybe once the eel grows up they would think twice?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, upon reflection a bit selfish of me wanting to keep him somehow. Aside from the $ value, I have been avoiding giving him away for fear of who may end up with him. I posted in the local FB groups, and got a number of concerning inquiries from people very new to the hobby.

You should be very discerning, I have given away many fish over the years, I literally interview people and have to approve their set up. They need to convince me they understand and are willing to care for them, TO MY STANDARD, which is very high.

Some things happens a couple of years ago and my ribbon eels tank crashed, the only place I could house him was in my 4' lion tank, too small for him long term. I raised this ribbon eel from an itty bitty black, and had turn blue under my care, I had had him for a few years. I made my friend promise to care for him exactly as I knew he needed for long term success. If you know anything about ribbon eels, you know they don't live long in captivity. The secret is including live fish in their diet, my friend begged me to have him and promised he would feed him mollies. Years later he's still going strong last I checked.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally take him if you need to give him up! Was looking for this kind of eel but cant find one haha

Edit: oh my god I never looked at the price on this eel!!! Jeez thats a ***** expensive eel you got there. I always just searched for their care and who had none, never looked at the price cause they were always out of stock!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally take him if you need to give him up! Was looking for this kind of eel but cant find one haha

Edit: oh my god I never looked at the price on this eel!!! Jeez thats a ***** expensive eel you got there. I always just searched for their care and who had none, never looked at the price cause they were always out of stock!
Certainly not the cheapest creature, but got a pretty good deal on this one. Would certainly pass along those savings.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not the cheapest creature, but got a pretty good deal on this one. Would certainly pass along those savings.
Oh really?? Yeah if you need to re home I totally would be interested! Just had a tank crash and lost all my fish in my 125 :sad-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back