How’s my chalice

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking it’s doing good, but the yellowish/white ring around the edge I’m just a little concerned about.
IMG_5113.png
IMG_5112.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk tested at 11dkh today, up from 10.2,10.3 tested the last two weekends. Could that be the issue with the whiteish edge on the coral? Calc over two weeks has measured 430/400/415… tank is new which explains the swings

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the XR15 G6 Blue over my 120 and at 80% on LPS/Soft spectrum the sand of my tank gets 90 par. On AB+ it's closer to 120 on the sand at 80%.
I’m running one of there spectrums from a 100g lps dominated tanks. Reason being is because it has a whiter spectrum for the first half of the day that I enjoy, and then fades to heavy blues. The tank they have it on is bigger than mine I will add. I’m new to mobius so maybe I missed something but when I downloaded the template it was automatically at 100% and I actually did ask an employee there about the spectrum. His response was “it’s been tweaked” because the way it looks on that tank isn’t the way it looks on mine. The chalice is low in my tank probably around 15-16” under the water, the light is mounted on a standard rms mount which I think puts the light at 8”? I’m probably wrong on that.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really hoping to set the lights and forget them because I’m bad about tinkering. The Zoas in the tank are happy, but maybe I should back it down on the intensity some? Or let the chalice adjust, it’s only been in the tank for a couple weeks and has been moved twice

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you an idea of what these lights can do, Here is my par map for Coral Lab AB+ and Here is my map for Coral Lab LPS/Soft. These PAR numbers are on a 120 gallon tank with 2 XR15 Gen 6 Blue Radions but it should give you an idea.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you an idea of what these lights can do, Here is my par map for Coral Lab AB+ and Here is my map for Coral Lab LPS/Soft. These PAR numbers are on a 120 gallon tank with 2 XR15 Gen 6 Blue Radions but it should give you an idea.
So your 4x2x2 correct? Standard 120 dimensions? I did speak with a guy with an IM 50 gal lagoon which is very similar to my tank that is only running his overall at 30, but he’s also running two xr30s compared to my one xr15. My Zoas look nice and happy, they are a bit lower in the tank but nothing super drastic however they are further forward. The chalice is higher and more direct under the light… probably be in my best interests to move it I’d guess and probably still would need to drop lighting intensity because when I start putting coral at the top of the tank I’m sure my par up there is pretty high… like SPS numbers

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 4x2x2 so yours being smaller and with just 1 xr15 you should be lower then my par numbers.

There are a lot of sites that post recommended par numbers for different corals but I like Tidal Gardens. I believe they have Chalices recommended for 100 par so you should be pretty close where you are unless I'm not thinking right (which is my usual state). I have a WWC Pink ******* Chalice in my QT right now which is why I was interested in your post. I will probably place it in the 100 par range when it comes out of QT.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 4x2x2 so yours being smaller and with just 1 xr15 you should be lower then my par numbers.

There are a lot of sites that post recommended par numbers for different corals but I like Tidal Gardens. I believe they have Chalices recommended for 100 par so you should be pretty close where you are unless I'm not thinking right (which is my usual state). I have a WWC Pink ******* Chalice in my QT right now which is why I was interested in your post. I will probably place it in the 100 par range when it comes out of QT.
Oh wow, R2R edited the chalice name and replaced the B**bies part with *******. I didn't know they did that.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotcha, I’m also not entirely sure the ring is related to high lighting and as luck would have it I glued the coral down this past weekend. However last night during a water change I looked down into the coral with the flow off and it does seem that the side facing away from the light is more vivid red, so who knows it’s really hard to say. Its a WWC scarlet ninja chalice, the pic they have on there website has no light ring around the edge, but I think it’ll adjust. As you said I definitely don’t think I’m blasting it, maybe just more than it was used to

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I’m also not entirely sure the ring is related to high lighting and as luck would have it I glued the coral down this past weekend. However last night during a water change I looked down into the coral with the flow off and it does seem that the side facing away from the light is more vivid red, so who knows it’s really hard to say. Its a WWC scarlet ninja chalice, the pic they have on there website has no light ring around the edge, but I think it’ll adjust. As you said I definitely don’t think I’m blasting it, maybe just more than it was used to
If you don't mind keeping us updated with its progress. As I said, I have a chalice in QT and will be moving it to DT soon so I am learning through you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back