How Accurate are Salifert test kits????

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing using Saliferts test kits for about 3 years. All of you that use Salifert test kits know that they come in batches with little stickers at the top of the box printed with the month and year they expire. My question is I had 2 diffrent Magnesium test kits with batches dated 2013 for both of my 34 gallon Solana aquariums and were reading aprx 1350-1360 for a couple of months. I ran out so I bought 2 new Salifert Magnesium test kits dated with batch of 04-2014. I went from a stable reading on my 2013 Salifert batch of 1350-1360 mag to the new Salifert batch of 04-2014 to a rocketing reading of 1440 mag on both of my 34 gallon Solanas Which I tested mulltiple times with very high mag readings!! any input??? how accurate are these Salifert test kits ????

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found them to be fairly accurate, I've checked against other test kits and they always seem to be on.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found them to be fairly accurate, I've checked against other test kits and they always seem to be on.

+1. All brands of test kits seem to have their ups & downs, but salifert seems to be one of the better ones as far as accuracy & consistency.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with both statements above i personally like salifert although recently i have noticed acouple of friends useing elos test kits and they seem to be on the money

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had good luck with Salifert too. I will say, if I get a weird reading on it, I will always test it again and then use a different kit just to be sure. But there have been batches in the past that were not as reliable. It was quite a while ago from what I remember though. I haven't had any issues personally in 3 years. Plenty of friends that use Elos and swear by them too.

Did you by chance change salts at all during that time? I know some salts are much higher in Mag than others - just a thought. If not, I would have NO idea how to explain the variance.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be too concerned with your mag level even if it is 1440. If everything in your tank looks good, then I'd try to just maintain your levels. Continue testing with the new kit to ensure that your levels aren't steadily climbing, and don't get too caught up on the variance between the test kits. Personally, I keep my mag at around 1400 with no ill effects, so I doubt 1440 would cause any issues.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag got up to 1900 once due to a bad batch of salt and the only reason I checked it was because my LPS started to shrivel up a bit. I am absolutely horrible about checking my mag.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with both statements above i personally like salifert although recently i have noticed acouple of friends useing elos test kits and they seem to be on the money

elos is where is at along with the new red sea pro kits they are my fav

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a bunch of different variables come into play when testing and one or many can throw off your levels from what your used to seeing whether it be wrong or right. Your salt mix batches can change and adjust things overtime, your refractometer can slowly change over time and adjust readings and how you mix your salt, the product you use for mag/cal/alk can be slightly different from one batch to another and slowly raise or lower levels. Even the way in which you conduct your tests can change a little. For all these reasons it good to test kinda often and not get set in a routine. All these changes can happen really slow and creep up on you. I also believe test kits can be bad sometimes too regardless of the date on the box. You dont know what that test has been through before it got to you. That sucker could have started in the east and been on a ups truck in freezing weather one day and in AZ on another UPS truck in 90 degrees the next day. The best thing you can do is have someone else like a friend of LFS test your water and decide for yourself if the test is to blame or not. Hang in their the technology in this hobby gets better and better every year so it has to get better. Good luck

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both, salifert & elos both come up with different reedings, When I test alk, elos reeds 8 , salifert reeds 9.2

OS357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen with the magnesium. Still have not figured it out yet. I am looking for someone with a different kit and see how close it is. but most of the people I have run into don't check mag. :confuse: .

Definitely have lost some of the confidence in the mag kits.

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Salifert test kits, you need to keep the air pocket consistent. Sometimes you drawn to much solution and the air pocket is less or vice versa which throughs off the readings.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back