How are we giving back to the ocean?

alishahlakhani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... What are we, as reef enthusiasts, doing our part to save the ocean reefs? Curious to learn from more hobbyists how I can do more.
If you are willing, let's have a chat and see how can we pool our efforts to give coral reefs a fighting chance they deserve.

Here's something that inspired me to ask this question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TsBo6aL_I
Ruth Gates said "Get busy" in proposing a solution, we need to do more and we need to do fast.

Let's connect
❤️
1f525.png

OP
OP
alishahlakhani

alishahlakhani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this a few weeks ago in the lounge.

Just crickets.

I do like to patronize vendors who give back to reef saving efforts...
That's cool man. Have you heard about Coral Gardeners before? It seems really interesting too.
I also don't get it that why our reefing community does not do much to save the ocean. I asked in BRS Group on Facebook and only 1 person replied. It just feels like we should be doing more

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool man. Have you heard about Coral Gardeners before? It seems really interesting too.
I also don't get it that why our reefing community does not do much to save the ocean. I asked in BRS Group on Facebook and only 1 person replied. It just feels like we should be doing more
As a hobbyist I guess the only things I know to do are:

1.) support vendors who give back to reef conservation foundations such as Arc Reef
2.) purchase aqua-cultured frags and fish
3.) purchase rock such as Carib Sea Life rock instead of wild-harvested live rock
4.) or purchase fish from vendors who source them from sustainable collectors
5.) as hobbyists, maybe cut back on energy consumption where we can. We don't need every piece of equipment that can be plugged in, running on our tanks.
6.) I guess just be aware as people in the hobby, our role in not only having fun but our choices and impacts

Maybe some venders here can chime in and inform us from within the industry how the hobby is helping...

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of them, I will check them out!

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I shop Amazon, I use smile.amazon and selected Surfrider Foundation as the charity. It's not huge dollars but it helps. I'm buying there anyway.

(I'm open to other charity suggestions if there's an organization that more directly benefits reef preservation. I didn't see Coral Gardeners on their list)

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I really focus on climate change and pollution. We try not to use disposable plastics, we use green detergents and reuse and recycle as many things as possible. We ride bikes as oppose to driving when possible. We also try to buy cultivated corals and captive bred fish, although we are not 100%.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't this year, but I've donated to and worked with a local ish group that works towards reducing erosion of beaches and shallows near the coast in a variety of ways, I have taken part in conservation days and projects through my graduate work, we drive eco friendly vehicles, use as little disposable plastic as possible, the disposable stuff we do use, we try to recycle as much of it as we can.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral garden ?
I’ve thought for years .

putting corals back that we grow

some have been over collected , why can’t we put some back as they grow ?

Well, this is something that should be done at a local level and usually with government involvement. I would like to see the industry take a more conservation minded stance. Years ago it seemed to be happening, but within the last few years you see total bans of importation of wild AND cultured marine life. It seems there is disfunction within the whole lawmaking process and sometimes I feel the hobby doesn't really take enough of a proactive role or have the political clout to defend the hobby properly.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is something that should be done at a local level and usually with government involvement. I would like to see the industry take a more conservation minded stance. Years ago it seemed to be happening, but within the last few years you see total bans of importation of wild AND cultured marine life. It seems there is disfunction within the whole lawmaking process and sometimes I feel the hobby doesn't really take enough of a proactive role or have the political clout to defend the hobby properly.
The part that boggles my mind .
think about it .
someone buys a kitten or puppy .
if it does , are they going back and buying another and another ?

no but corals and fish are different ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being a poster on reef boards is giving back to real reefs. These phD builds are equal to ones you guys would come up with to impress online peers with an amazing linked frag tank setup.

https://cdhc.noaa.gov/_docs/TCB Small Scale Exp Systems TM Final.pdf

your tools, containers and test kits and arrangements inspire govt funded coral disease research

be proud to be a forum poster.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of stating the obvious, but I think solar panels on your roof is one of the best ways to help while saving a lot of money. Here in the woods they wouldn’t be of much use unfortunately.

Every little bit would help ?

Whether it be climate change or over collected .
technically it would help, but not enough to compete with climate change.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. Simply placing corals back in the sea won’t cut the mustard. I think the best thing we can do is support climate change by driving less, as thepurle12 says, instal solar panels, eat less meat, reproduce less

Seriously though from all the documentaries I’ve watched the root cause appears to be over population. Every individual has a carbon footprint and we all contribute. So you either control the population or change lifestyle.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first step is awareness. Many of us are so far from an ocean or reef, that it is not in our immediate thoughts. We will do things for our environment, and that is wonderful and helpful (I am one of those eco nuts myself). But just making people aware of the needs and losses is huge.

We know this stuff, but others do not. When I do my programs at schools, the instructors are always surprised at what I tell the kids. They are just as unaware as the kids themselves. Just getting the word out there about reefs is huge.

My non-profit does this in our area. I would love to bring it to every city in the country, but I hope to at leat inspire others. I have systems in place that work well and am happy to share my programs for other areas. But, it is not easy. It takes a lot of commitment and very little monetary compensation (none actually).

I never know who will get inspired by my programs. Being from Minnesota and never traveling, I was inspired by a beluga whale at the zoo. I hope to light a spark that may one day really bring up a fire.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back