how are you handling the heat?

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moving the sump to the basement was the best thing i ever did. in past years when it got this hot i was always sweating (pun intended) about how hot my tank was going to get. so far it hasn't broke 80 yet :)

did discover a problem though - everything is sweating in the basement - going to have to do something about the humidity i guess

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a bathroom fan (50cfm from lowes) running 24/7 so nothing sweets....it takes a few days to get it so nothing sweets but it work great...befor that i had a shower under a copper city water pipe every time i went under it :)

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing like a basement setup. pretty much don't have to worry about the heat. unfortunately that does mean I have to run some heaters most of the year though.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the sump in the basement - directly on the concrete floor. I still have my heaters kick in from time to time to keep the temp above 78 (at this point I have both my tank and sump in the basement until I get my 420 going).

Before I had the opportunity to have things in the basement (last house) I always ran several fans and that seemed to keep the temp in check. It increased evaporation though.

Jeremy

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both my tanks and sump in the basement temporarily. However, I haven't noticed any moisture problems. All my AC vents are open down there and I do run a dehumidifier not sure if that is the reason or not. I do have to say this new forum has me itching like I haven't in a long time to get the bowfront upstairs and functioning!

Eric

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family room is half underground but even with the ac on and a ceiling fan my 150 got up to 84.
I laid a box fan on top of my tank. I have Pc's on their so laid it right on top of the light.
I got it down to 76 by the next day.
It's amazing what a fan can do for the heat if you blow it across the surface.
Funny cuz I just got an ac for that room last year and I dont remember my tank getting that warm before without one.

kass

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tanks are in the basement, not sure if it's the most efficient, but I run a couple of Dehumidifiers... both are set at 55%, that, along with the AC vents, I have to worry about keeping the tanks warm more then overheating....

Fans are great to keep tanks cool, but it's better yet to get the room comfortable (with AC etc.) that way you don't sit and sweat watching it!!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, my fishroom is in the basement and that does all my cooling for me!

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Central air and basement sump.

However, stupid nano at the office is reading 85 for the third straight day with lights off. The inhabitants (rics, zoas, cleaner shrimp, damsel) don't really seem to mind though...

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running my lights much atm (I have a window that provides enough algae growing light,) so I don't have much useful info. It just sits at 78 most of the time.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee John you probably wouldn't be interested in the JBJ HQI setup I am going to be selling very soon then. Awesome hood with a 150W HQI lamp in it!!!!

Eric

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the basement setup. I keep it a nice 76 year round. The heaters probably run 9 months out of the year.

eskymick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement sump, central air set at 75, and a fan that blows across the DT surface when the halides are on. All that, coupled with a Ranco controller, keeps my water at 79 - 80 degrees.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My upstairs nano seems to hold temp pretty well (even w/ the 70w HQI in the hood), but I am sure it fluxes a little.

My basement tanks pretty much don't move because the temp down there is so consistent.

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run the ac and have a fan running across the top when fan is on have a little more evap but the ATO keeps up with that.I also have a fan directed at the fuge.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a fan most of the time, but if it gets too hot, Ive got a chiller I plumb in, but eventually it will be a basement tank, and that will cure the problem.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back