When were you diagnosed with Multiple Tank Syndrome?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're a crazy bunch, insisting on keeping ocean life in our glass boxes of various dimensions. I recently thought a bunch about why I got into reefing in the first place, I'm about 9-10 months into my first little foray so still fresh, inexperienced and learning new things everyday. What I started to wonder shortly after was this: Why on earth do I constantly find myself looking at tanks? It sure doesn't help when IM or WB has a sale but even when I'm casually scrolling on marketplace, the posts and threads selling tanks are the ones that stand out the most. Heck I needed to land me some car parts and began scrolling on craigslist.. and about 20 minutes later I found myself looking at pre drilled reef ready tanks :downcast-face-with-sweat:

A few days went by before I gave into that itch again and this time I finally pulled the trigger. I dont have much space, 1 bedroom NYC apartment with my cat and partner. Luckily she supports it and has been helpful along the journey so far but she has been repeatedly asking why? I'm perfectly happy with my little hodge podge nano cube but I've decided to pick up another tank to start up a macroalgae tank with! Why? Because multiple tank syndrome made me do it.

Why do we reefers often find ourselves going for another tank or three? Is it from boredom? Inspiration? When did you get hit with MTS?? What made you do it?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 6 months after getting back into reefing in 2018. I started my 135 gallon fowlr after having a 36 gallon reef tank. I am now working on tank number 6, my third frag tank.

Upvote 0

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have support tanks set up to feed my large tank. If im sucessful ill have dwarf seahorse fry and amphipods to feed my fish. Im trying to establish them in seperate tanks bringing my count to 3 salty tanks and 1 fresh.

Upvote 0

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually crops up every few years, usually after a tank is well-established and there's less to do with it. Then suddenly, I'm struck by an inexplicable urge to buy a new glass cage and fill it with rocks and stuff.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a compulsive behavioral disorder that has not been properly described by the Medical Community. The good news is that because a reef requires water, electricity, and a safe place to house them so most of us don't end up homeless because of our problems.

Also helps keep kids off drugs, since they have to decide if they want to buy medicine or if they want to buy a coral. Smart kids buy corals.

Same for fish, new tanks, and all the gear. I struggled for years before I became a supporting member. That membership cash could have bought a nice frag or a new meter. Love you @revhtree for keeping us off the streets.

Check out my new wavemaker:

Beach Ocean GIF by Storyful
:cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back