If attempting the HNSA method, do you add additional biological media in the system?

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been into "Water Boxes" for over 5 decades now with a long run in Salty Water Boxes but I had to get out of the Salty side for personal reasons over a decade ago. WOW have things changed in that decade. Back when I was just getting out we "piled it full of rock" in order to get as much biological filtration in the tank. Rock piles, rock walls, elegantly stacked rock etc but we packed our tanks full of rock.

Fast forward 10 years and I see "Minimalist" more and more and tbh I've always loved the minimal/bonsai type look so this is a good time for me to get back into Salty Water. I'm setting up our Waterbox Inifinia 150.4 and going very minimal with it shooting from a variation of the HNSA (Habitat Negative Space Aquasacping) but utilizing 2 "Reef Trees" in my tank. My question for those more "current" than myself, do I need to add any "biobricks" etc into the sump to help augment the "Soon to be Live Rock" in the tank?

Allen in NC

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has ever documented a reef tank with too little surface area to carry a common bioload. If it was something that ever occurs, we’d have lots of documented cases vs not any I can find from any year on any forum

The habit training to stack in far beyond what we need comes from freshwater training habits

When I say documented, am meaning by digital test kits vs api ammonia

A reefer can have api say lots of things that aren’t true. Nobody has ever had a seneye for example document an unable reef scape, yours will be fine either way

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back