Seeding the frag tank... but the biological media is from an LPS/SPS hostile tank (Could one do it succesfully?)

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

I have my ~100g frag tank (later reef tank) ready for water. However I am afraid that the 1 Scopas who will inhabit it for +3 months and the corals will die of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

Here is everything to know:

(New system)
-Filtration: Protein skimmer + macroalgaes in the display (red+green)
-Only LPS, SPS +zoas and mushrooms
-1 fish until I have to add more, due to unsufficient nutrients
-I would add ceramic medias and sponges from the old system so I can jump-start the cycle

(Old system)
-Cycled with liverock (partially from the ocean and from an other aquarium)
-Has a long history of killing stony corals in a nutshell: done an ICP test, everything that can be measured was measured, large water changes and etc. nothing showed anything so I am afraid that it is the microbiome which may be hostile and I don't want to seed the new tank with possibly hostile microfauna/flora

Any opinions ?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about the existing rock, why risk it? If you have problems later, you'll kick yourself. That said, I personally don't think the issue is your rock/biome. But I have no evidence to back that up. Pics of tank that kills coral?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about the existing rock, why risk it? If you have problems later, you'll kick yourself. That said, I personally don't think the issue is your rock/biome. But I have no evidence to back that up. Pics of tank that kills coral?
IMG_20240121_143724.jpg

Upvote 0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With common sense I see no issue seeding new tank from the old tank. You also don’t need to worry about nitrate and ammonia so it’s up to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With common sense I see no issue seeding new tank from the old tank. You also don’t need to worry about nitrate and ammonia so it’s up to you.
Others also mentioned that even without ceramic medias and rocks, I don't have to worry since the M.algae should take those up. I'm just simply afraid of losing fish.
Thank's for the input.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-I would add ceramic medias and sponges from the old system so I can jump-start the cycle

(Old system)
-Cycled with liverock (partially from the ocean and from an other aquarium)
-Has a long history of killing stony corals
I am afraid that it is the microbiome which may be hostile and I don't want to seed the new tank with possibly hostile microfauna/flora
While I don't think that's the likeliest cause of coral deaths, if I were in your shoes - I would certainly acquire some live surfaces from a system that grows coral well rather than seed with surface biofilm from a tank that corals struggle and die in.
You don't need that much surface to seed biofilm to seed nitrification if that is the goal of the "seeding".

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back