Keeping the rocks in place: Did you add aquascape support in your tank?

Did you add aquascape support in your tank?

• I currently have aquascape support in my tank.

Votes: 54 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have aquascape support in my tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • I haven’t had aquascape support in my tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 19.1%
  • I haven’t had aquascape support in my tank and have no plans to use it in the future.

Votes: 83 42.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keeping the rocks in place: Did you add aquascape support in your tank?

There are many ways to aquascape a tank including a minimalistic design, a large wall of rocks, and many more approaches. Sometimes the rock placement of the show pieces of rocks begins with base rock and other times there may actually be a hidden support system that is used as a foundation and even infrastructure for the aquascape. When you have built aquascapes for the tank or tanks that you have had, did you add aquascape support in your tank? Whether it was base rock, PVC, or some other type of material, please tell us about your experience and feel free to share any tips that you have with the R2R community!

highmark_aquascape.jpeg

Photo by @highmark

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a damsel decided he could move mountains, yes!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used egg crate under all of my Carib Sea rock structures. Pedestals, arches etc. The sand covers them nicely and I’m confident that nothing is sliding or shifting.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a plopper. I just plop the rocks on the sand and stack. I do make sure to stack them so they aren’t likely to tumble.
experience GIF

Last edited:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have any support - and didn't really need it until I got a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I've noticed some structures have shifted since he's decided to rearrange every last grain of sand.

I'll be upsizing the tank soon and plan to drill all of the base rock and use acrylic rods as legs to keep them raised about an inch off of the bottom so the shrimp can dig all the burrows he wants without having to worry about anything moving.

I'll also be using epoxy putty to hold some of the stacked stuff a bit more secure than just hoping that balance will suffice over time.

Last edited:

ReefShaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've tried is glue which didn't work too well so went with putty for one of my tanks...other than that I free scape all my aquascapes....The pic with the Rigid toolbox is without any putty or glue...After multiple and I mean multiple collapses I tried putty for the 1st time....So far so good!

20240213_171141.jpg 20240318_183442.jpg 20240405_184431.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always wanted to do something crazy that would need support but when I go to do it I always settled for something less "awe-inspiring" because it was easier. :(

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to do something crazy that would need support but when I go to do it I always settled for something less "awe-inspiring" because it was easier. :(
I feel your pain,,I also always have visions of grandeur and then end up with rock wall LOL

Jbr0nc0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have any support - and didn't really need it until I got a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I've noticed some structures have shifted since he's decided to rearrange every last grain of sand.

I'll be upsizing the tank soon and plan to drill all of the base rock and use acrylic rods as legs to keep them raised about an inch off of the bottom so the shrimp dig all the burrows he wants without having to worry about anything moving.

I'll also be using epoxy putty to hold some of the stacked stuff a bit more secure than just hoping that balance will suffice over time.
This! I thought my rocks were fine until I got a pistol shrimp too. now instead of obsessing about how the fish are doing every waking hour I'm obsessing about the gaping holes under my rocks and if I'm gonna watch everything tumble down

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the rock powder and thin super glue method so my shapes do not need additional support. Only drawback is that I have to live with the shapes and cannot rearrange the rocks at all.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use shelf and base rock as support for my rock work. there’s a few pieces of rock i have that do become unstable at times but it’s easily fixed by wedging smaller pieces to counter the shift in weight.

my hermits are the absolute worst when it comes to keeping my rock work in place. they’ve all been evicted to the sump(just 6 hermits)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks are big. They are not moving. 25 to 45 lbs each. They don’t require any extra support. It was not easy to get them into place.
Curing-dry-rock.jpg

Last edited:

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a variety of rock sizes and shapes I find it easier to find a "fit" between rocks. It may take a couple months of rearranging things but eventually you'll get to a nice structure that seems stable. Once there I use epoxy putty and mold it into the contact points, with no additional structure needed. Here's my tank after 5 months, the smaller rocks are still movable but the main structure is set. It's 20" high, I used the back wall but structure is hollow in back with two locline nozzles pushing 460gph down the back wall. Lots of real estate for corals.
20240408_135403.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back