Dialing in the data: How often do you calibrate your water quality meters?

How often do you calibrate your water quality meters?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • Quarterly

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • As needed.

Votes: 58 38.2%
  • Never.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Testing the water parameters is important to reef keeping and there are many, many tools to help us with those measurements. Whether we use standalone meters, meters that are built into controllers, and even laboratory meters where water can be sent for analysis, there are many ways to evaluate our water. However, it is important that the data is accurate and reliable. The saying “garbage in, garbage out” certainly applies when checking water parameters and a faulty or undependable meters is a problem, especially when we are trusting it to be accurate. One of the ways that will help us to be aware of potential problems with our meters is to pay attention to what our fish and coral are telling us. Another way that we can account for issues with our meters is to regularly calibrate our meters. How often do you calibrate your water quality meters? Please let us know about your testing habits in the related discussion thread and feel free to share any tips that you have for working with meters and water testing.

CH3tt_Refractometer.png

Photo by @Ch3tt

If you want to look into water testing a little further, then there are a lot of resources on Reef2Reef. One specific resource is the article: Reef Aquarium Salinity: DIY Calibration Standards. There are also many more resources to be found in the R2R Reef Chemistry forum and in the R2R articles section – enjoy!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have that can be calibrated is a refractometer. It gets checked every time I mix up a new batch of water (2-3 times a month) or anytime I get a reading different than I expect it to be.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank calibrate often. Old tank not so much. Fancy stuff like Alkatronic calibrate every day

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to calibrate my apex ph probes monthly, and they usually are off by around .1. My refractometer gets calibrated when I see a number that draws suspicion. My advice is to calibrate even if you like the numbers you are seeing. I promise you will be surprised at the difference at some point in time if you never calibrate.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
quarterly/as needed.

with strict testing protocol, you can avoid testing error. and with refrigerating reagents prolonging shelf life, it reduces the amount of restocking on reagents or recalibration. probes would require more maintenance than water testing kits.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming into its 8th year, has easy to keep creatures. The only thing I calibrate and then only rarely is my swing arm hydrometer. I take it to my lfs and check to see if it is still reading accurately. It's probably 15-20 years old and so far so good.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years ago I realized my refrac was off when I couldn't get magnesium up to where I wanted. Someone suggested checking my salinity with multiple tests. My refrac is reading 1.026 which was actually around 1.0245.
I disocvered this by getting a glass hydrometer, Taking five gallons of my tank water letting it cool to 70 degrees and placing the hydrometer in the water. Waited a couple hours for everything to equalize and then took the reading of the hydrometer. It was reading low. I tried calibrating the refrac, but it was at it's max. So, I just know now that I need my refrac to show salinity at 1.027 and that will be 1.025 - 1.026 based on the glass hydrometer. I try to check this annually but will admit with minimal water changes (once every 6-8 months 50%). I don't check it as often as I should.

I could check my new water change water with the glass hydrometer I guess. I never thought of that. My understanding is the glass hydrometers are most accurate but are temperature sensitive.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
I just calibrated my new salinity meter with Caribbean Ocean water and checked out how it reads compared to my old meter. Both looked pretty good

IMG_2710.jpeg IMG_2685.jpeg IMG_2684.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back