Easter Egg Chalice: Do you have any chalice corals in your tank?

Do you have any chalice corals in your tank?

• I currently have chalice corals in my tank.

Votes: 153 59.8%
  • I don’t have had chalice corals in my tank currently, but I have in the past.

Votes: 24 9.4%
  • I have never had chalice corals in my tank.

Votes: 74 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special when I took the top down pictures I was measuring salinity and just took my iPhone and took top down pictures. All the water flow was off. To be honest I was also surprised how nice the picture turned out.
The side view ones were taken when I cleaned the glass, no filter on the camera. I like to take quick pictures for reference, are the corals growing, colour looks good etc…

Part of the trick is to have clear water and healthy corals help with that. When growing they filter it out nicely. I also use 40ml per 50 gal GAC, change every 4 weeks and few Zeo stones (like 2or3) mixed in with GAC. I noticed some time ago that Zeo stones really help with water clarity. Besides skimmer that is all for filtering the water. I don’t use filter socks, fleece rollers, UV, ozone, fuge etc…
For 2 part dosing I use the low pH Alk component, I use Fauna Marin Balling light ( I think it is basic baking soda). I observed some time ago that when I used the high pH Alk it can increase pH but it forms precipitation and made the water cloudy. Just my observation, maybe I did not use them correctly…
What’s your secret for growing huge chalices lol

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your secret for growing huge chalices lol
Honestly the big one is time, some of the large pieces have been with me for 3-4 years. But I tend to mess things up every so often, trying different things and then I spend 3-6 months undoing those brilliant ideas…

The other feature that I observed with chalices (my observation) is that if I stat them off at sand level on their own small rock they tend to do lot better. They will grow and take over larger rocks and climb towards the light.

On the other hand when I mounted for example my Hollywood stunner on the rock work it just sat there for a year doing nothing. Once I moved it down it exploded.
1712336615097.jpeg

Now it is growing like Montipora… and it is claiming the larger rock it refused to grow on initially.

Some do take a long time to grow.
This one is Tyree Mummy eye chalice:
1712337284107.jpeg

After 3 years it is only size of a small tea cup plate.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back