An Aquarium Alcove: Do you have a “Behind the Scenes” area?

Do you have a “Behind the Scenes” area?

• I have a large “behind the scenes” area.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • I have a small “behind the scenes” area.

Votes: 60 26.8%
  • I do not have a “behind the scenes” area.

Votes: 117 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Full tank pictures, top-down pictures, macro pictures, and maybe even an occasional picture of the sump, but what about the stuff around the tank…the support system. For many of us there is more going on with the reef aquarium than just the aquarium. Whether it is the saltwater mixing station, the stash of buckets and towels, the “medicine cabinet”, and all the other space that is filled with items to support the tank. Whatever it looks like for you, do you have a “behind the scenes” area? Please let us know what you keep in that space and share any recommendations for maintaining that area. Also, if you are brave enough, feel free to share pictures of your behind-the-scenes area in the related discussion thread!

EpicAquaculture_BehindTheScenes.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire Reef Cave is behind the scenes. Well, except that I share some of it in videos! I don’t get any visitors down there usually, so it’s my sanctuary.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines not exactly behind. More underneath. Basement fish room. Love it. So I get partial credit.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted that I have a large 'behind' the scene but it is actually a 'below' the scene area. My sump, waterchange station and fish room are in the basement under the livingroom tank. Sorry no pics.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How 'bout a sump closet?

Tank is on the other side of that wall. All life support, water change, etc. is in here.

Old fat guy, don't wanna work from my knees anymore.

SumpCloset031524.jpg

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right behind my display tank was a closet which I converted into a behind the scenes Sump area...Like @Greybeard I am not as flexible as I used to be :) and this was a great solution

20240315_160356.jpg

20240315_160343.jpg

20240315_160330.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How 'bout a sump closet?

Tank is on the other side of that wall. All life support, water change, etc. is in here.

Old fat guy, don't wanna work from my knees anymore.

SumpCloset031524.jpg
Right behind my display tank was a closet which I converted into a behind the scenes Sump area...Like @Greybeard I am not as flexible as I used to be :) and this was a great solution

20240315_160356.jpg

20240315_160343.jpg

20240315_160330.jpg
I don't feel as young as I used to either and appreciate maintaining my tank from a standing position, LOL!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if it counts but I built a desk/table to completely hide my testing station, spare supplies, fish food freezer and a water change brute trashcan that i don't use anymore

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Full tank pictures, top-down pictures, macro pictures, and maybe even an occasional picture of the sump, but what about the stuff around the tank…the support system. For many of us there is more going on with the reef aquarium than just the aquarium. Whether it is the saltwater mixing station, the stash of buckets and towels, the “medicine cabinet”, and all the other space that is filled with items to support the tank. Whatever it looks like for you, do you have a “behind the scenes” area? Please let us know what you keep in that space and share any recommendations for maintaining that area. Also, if you are brave enough, feel free to share pictures of your behind-the-scenes area in the related discussion thread!

EpicAquaculture_BehindTheScenes.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
In the examples you're making - everyone has a "behind the scenes area", right?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the examples you're making - everyone has a "behind the scenes area", right?
In an era of display sumps, is it possible to have everything on display and not have a back stage area?

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display tank is stand alone, with sump in the cabinet. But I have a separate room with a frag system and sink. Keeps me out of the kitchen with stinky things.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area under the Basement Steps. Have two Brute Containers, some 5 gallon Carboys, and my power Cabinet for my Lights is there. Electric Water heater robs a lot of the space, that location is now against Codes.

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a closet even had don treats in it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 20

Mark Wold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent many years cramming my sump under my Marineland 90. But since my stand has a divider, it was impossible to take it out if I thought it needed a cleaning. And also a pain to take the skimmer out as there wasn’t much room between the sump and the bottom of the tank above it. So last fall I moved my business to a new building (tank was in my office). I found the perfect place for the tank that allowed me to set everything up in the room behind my new office. The only things under my tank now are the drain line and sump return line, both glued 1” PVC. So clean looking a no noises other than the sound of water trickling over the weir. I built a cabinet exactly how I wanted. Electronics up top and sump below with plenty of head room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back