Standing tall in the middle of it all…or not: How hands-on are you as a reef keeper?

How hands-on are you as a reef keeper?

• Very hands-on

Votes: 228 60.6%
  • Somewhat hands-on

Votes: 113 30.1%
  • Not very hands-on

Votes: 21 5.6%
  • Not hands-on at all

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Standing tall in the middle of it all…or not: How hands-on are you as a reef keeper?

There are reef keepers that hire others to take care of their tank and others that have automated their reef system to the point where they rarely get wet. In contrast there are some that are very interactive with their tanks and livestock and are fully immersed (both literally and figuratively) in their small section of the reef. How hands-on are you as a reef keeper? Let us know about your experience and level of interaction with your reef in the related comments.

seth&angelle_aquascape.jpeg

Photo by @seth&angelle

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned an important lesson very early on. The first few years I kept saltwater in the late 80's I was always messing with my tanks and trying to fix problems. I found a nice job out of town but it was about 6 months or so before I could move my tanks. During that time I was checking in on them only on weekends. After a couple months they started looking better than they had in the several years I had them. Pretty obvious takeaway was by trying to fix and prevent problems I was only exacerbating them by not letting the systems stabilize.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be an aquarium tech (2005-2010) who others hired so I do everything with my tank. I am not too proud to ask for assistance with new tech and equipment however. And like @Timfish I have learned not to do stuff that is counterproductive and let my tank find its balance.

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and trying really hard to not mess with things too much. But it's tough, I love to get my hands dirty.
I've been throwing myself into researching best practices and the science behind what a reef tank needs when the need to fiddle hits me.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all except, build tanks, stands or canopies.
Right now I'm wiring my T5 balists and finishing my plumbing for the 150 build.
I'm going to be building my rock structures and treating my coral for the boring spionid worms. I wired in an extra outlet behind the tank.
I'm so deep in my wife wants to know when spring cleaning the yard will be. Maybe by summer??

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "somewhat" - I love my Hydros and the stuff I have automated (dosing, feeding, top-off). For my newest tank, I have backed away from AWC and have begun doing them myself every other week along with a good cleaning/vacuuming. Tank is doing great.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a long time to learn to keep my hands oit of the tank. Now I only mess with tank during water change, or something happens. Any adjustments or tuning are done during water change. Hands out of tank for rest of week. Also creates less mess and easier to do.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands on. Don’t build my own cannons like @Timfish but I do install new ones (today) when one burns out. $$$$
Edit
Oh ya I built my 600 gallon tank and sump . Probably a bit more hands on than others who buy tanks

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grandfather taught me to never pay someone to do anything you can do yourself. The only thing I ever paid to have done as far as reefing was to pay to have a 600 lb tank carried in and placed on the stand. Lights, ato and doser is the only automation. I only added the doser because I was having trouble remembering to do it or remembering if I already did it and I couldn't remember to write it down when I tried logging things. Sucks getting old.

EDIT: I've never built a tank but I have built stands and done plumbing.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not very hands on but I do everything myself if that makes any sense. In only hands on when my tanks are young then let it ride. Waterchange once or twice a year. Clean the glass when it gets out of control fill my ato by flipping a valve and that’s about it other than dump my skimmer waste.

MusicianMadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted somewhat hands on. There is a point of diminishing returns and even harm that can be done by micromanaging a reef tank. Stability is widely regarded as the most important quality and therefore too much adjusting can be counterproductive. Though I exclusively do all the management of the tank, I don't pay for servicing, as for hands on in that regard.

I do have automation though. Automatic top off, daily auto feeder for "snacks" throughout the day for the fish, strict schedule for other feedings and water changes, lights are on a scheduled automatic controller, etc...

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm terrible with constantly being in my tank. I have re-arranged my rock work too many times to count due to finally getting it stable. Moving corals that have fallen or vacuuming sand. I have also had some help with the 'electronic' hookups. First time owning a sump, so it was nice having someone set it all up for me the right way.

My fish are also in QT due to an ich outbreak, so my DT tank has been struggling with new tank syndrome. Sigh.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back