How are you moving water in you 6 ft. tank?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 is on its way and the only piece of equipment still outstanding is powerhead. Thinking gyres ( 250’s) but interested in any options. Fish only tank as it’s for butterflies. Apex controlled.
Please let me know what you are using and how happy or dissatisfied you are with it.
Thank you,
Jim

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 180 fish only as well. I also want butterflies! I have 2 250 gyres one at each end . They will reshape the sand for Ya . I also have a couple of old korallia's along the back to get some flow in a few dead spaces do to the rockscape . I have the gyres crank up to 100 % though . I admit to not knowing how to get the controller to turn them down a bit. Other than that I (what I think) is The Maxspect brand could be built tougher.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miss Sarah ,The Op wants to know about water movement in the tank .

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- single xf250 will push water 6’ across my 180 at 65%. By 100%, it hits the opposite wall with a nice amount of force. 2 @ 70% each will give you a bunch of flow.

Little noisy at first, especially on a ramping cycle, but quieten down after the first couple cleanings. I run mine in 50% vinegar in a section of 4” pvc with a cap on the end. 10-15% speed for a couple hours then rinse. No need to disassemble

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m so sorry, I was tired when I read that, and then wonder.. Sorry to the op I thought he was asking how to move a Six foot tank with water in it. Ops. Well see now it’s proven cheese puffs destroy your brain.

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 MP40 QDs. Two on one end and one on the other. The end with one end has the return (1.5inch) so it has roughly similar flow from both ends.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe Sarah is just sharing some humor. Do the 250’s push water clear to the other end of the tank cracker? Also are they noisy?
Thanks guys.
Yes they do , big time ! I have them running opposite of each other . While one is ramping up the other is doing the same in reverse back & forth
As for the noise? If I stand next to the tank to hear them whirring . But when a bushing goes they get loud .

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m so sorry, I was tired when I read that, and then wonder.. Sorry to the op I thought he was asking how to move a Six foot tank with water in it. Ops. Well see now it’s proven cheese puffs destroy your brain.
Sister You really need to go with the Cheeto's ! Thay are soo much better for You !

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Now that I’m alert and awake (sorta), that’s what happens after a 24 hour shift, I can actually pay attention to the thread lol. But as others have said those should be fine (the gyres) I use four 2100 gph current wave makers on mine and it’s a 240 and over kill. I don’t have experience with them but have been tinkering with the idea to add one on my back wall and two of them on my 425. Hmmm.

@cracker lol see it’s my co workers fault, about this whole thing. She gave me a dare, and said I had to eat some cheese puffs. Specially that I have never eaten them, and I couldn’t resist just eating one. Well needless to say I ate a few but I’m my defense nothing changed except me eating those, so it has to be the Cheetos fault I totally miss read what the op was saying lol. (Or more likely I was too tired to pay attention and didn’t process what I wrote ops).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back