How best to dip this rock and get rid of bubble algae, while also not killing my zoas ?

Joshua J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this piece of rock, it is covered partially with zoas. They have been in my tank for some time, but what you can’t see is all the bubble algea all over this rock. It is starting to spread on the rock and affect the zoas. My question is. “Could I take this one rock out and do a hydrogen peroxide dip without killing all my zoas ? And if so, what are the steps and what ratio of peroxide to water would I use ?” I have tried emerald crabs and they never even touched it. It is just in small places on the other rocks and my pincushion urchins seem to keep it cleaned off. But this rock has lots of small openings and crevices that the urchins can’t get into. Any advice is helpful. I’ve only been into the hobby for about a year and I’m still learning.
C1FD8CBA-3B5C-4A13-90A7-FCD24AF0B5B2.jpeg

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to U=tube (Reef Dude) straight H2O2 (no dilution) for 90 seconds (using std 3% H2O2)

Last edited:

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dealt with bubble algae much, but I have with bryopsis that grew right in my zoas.
I dipped the zoas directly in H2O2 3% for up to 2 minutes. They close up for a few days, but they're fine after. Just be careful do dip them outside, with gloves and eye protection. The dip will tick them off and you're at risk of the palytoxins getting into the air or on your skin. Your zoas will be fine if you do dip them though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back