HOW BIG OF A DT DO I NEED?

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my next tank build, but i want some people's opinions on what size tank i need to keep the livestock I want. Thanks in advance y'all.

Planned filtration
-Triton method sump proportions (https://www.triton.de/en/products-services/triton-method/)
- Carbon / gfo reactor
- Algae scrubber
- Protein skimmer (1-2) - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-200sss-space-saving-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html

IT WILL BE A REEF TANK.

Ill list the CUC i am thinking of as well as the fish stock

CUC
- 2 Skunk Cleaners
- 1 Fire Shrimp
- Fighting Conch?!
- URCHINS
- Any other suggestions here would be appreciated. I hate constantly buying snails

FISH
-MAURITIUS JEWEL LEOPARD WRASSE - MACROPHARYNGODON LAPILLUS (group of 3)

- MELEAGRIS LEOPARD WRASSE - MACROPHARYNGODON MELEAGRIS (group of 3)

- YELLOWTAIL REEF BASSLET - Liopropoma mitratum (group of 2 - 3)
- Assessor macneilli (group of 2 - 3)

- WHITE TAIL BRISTLETOOTH TANG - CTENOCHAETUS FLAVICAUDA (1)
- BLUE CARIBEAN TANG - ACANTHURUS COERULEUS (1)

- LONG NOSE BAT FISH - OGCOCEPHA CORNIGER (1)

- pistol shrimp and goby pair

- BICOLOR GOATFISH

IF ANYONE SEES ANY COMPATIBILITY ISSUES I MISSED PLEASE LET ME KNOW
any suggestions on bottom dwelling fish would work too. I have plenty of open swimmers

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big can you afford?:D

With the Atlantic Blue Tang I would not go with less than a 6 foot tank. Even then I found that species aggressive enough to preclude other tangs. Definitely add the Whitetail bristle tooth first.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a 15" adult sized Tang on there... plus a 2nd smaller tang, some larger highly mobile wrasses...

I'd say 200 gallon, minimum. Something along the lines of a 7x2x2 220g tank would probably be suitable, and can be had at a fairly reasonable cost. Might recommend an upgrade on that 200SSS skimmer. IMHO, it's a bit small for the tank you're planning.

As for bottom feeders, I really like my bi-color goatfish. Constantly sifting the surface layer of sand, without making a true mess like so many sand sifting fishes do.

I've had several fighting conchs over the years. I have sand tiger conchs now, and like them much better. They're much more active, moving around the tank a lot more than the fighting conchs ever did. The two tangs themselves can certainly be included in the CUC... they're far better algae eaters than most any snail you might consider. A few Nassarius help a lot to keep the sand bed clean.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking minimum 180g. Check out the tuxedo urchin, 1 urchin will do the work of 20 snails.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a 15" adult sized Tang on there... plus a 2nd smaller tang, some larger highly mobile wrasses...

I'd say 200 gallon, minimum. Something along the lines of a 7x2x2 220g tank would probably be suitable, and can be had at a fairly reasonable cost. Might recommend an upgrade on that 200SSS skimmer. IMHO, it's a bit small for the tank you're planning.

As for bottom feeders, I really like my bi-color goatfish. Constantly sifting the surface layer of sand, without making a true mess like so many sand sifting fishes do.

I've had several fighting conchs over the years. I have sand tiger conchs now, and like them much better. They're much more active, moving around the tank a lot more than the fighting conchs ever did. The two tangs themselves can certainly be included in the CUC... they're far better algae eaters than most any snail you might consider. A few Nassarius help a lot to keep the sand bed clean.

I am confused? Is there something i do not know? The bristle tooth only shows 6.5" max and the caribbean 9". https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+328&pcatid=328
How many of those tiger conchs would you recommend? Also, would i be better, in your opinion to do 1 bigger skimmer or 2 of that size. I was going to do 2 for redundancy. That way if one went bad and i was out for the day my tank wouldn't get completely screwed up. Do you have any problem with having shrimp and conchs and such with your bicolor?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking minimum 180g. Check out the tuxedo urchin, 1 urchin will do the work of 20 snails.

I was thinking about urchins too. That is what we have in my wife nano (a short spine). He does a great job at cleaning it up. Plus in my current 60 cube i have a sea hare. He is amazing.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused? Is there something i do not know? The bristle tooth only shows 6.5" max and the caribbean 9"https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+328&pcatid=328
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+328&pcatid=328

Won't speak for Lasse but that is one time I disagree with the LA data. They may only get to 9" in most aquaria but I've seen schools of solid 1 footers while diving in the Caribbean. They also are very aggressive.

I've had two. One was a 3" yellow juvie when I got him and he hounded several of my fish to the point they could not feed. His predecessor was a 4" adult coloration and he killed a larger Gold Rim tang in a very short period of time(with me earnestly trying to catch either of them.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't speak for Lasse but that is one time I disagree with the LA data. They may only get to 9" in most aquaria but I've seen schools of solid 1 footers while diving in the Caribbean. They also are very aggressive.

I've had two. One was a 3" yellow juvie when I got him and he hounded several of my fish to the point they could not feed. His predecessor was a 4" adult coloration and he killed a larger Gold Rim tang in a very short period of time(with me earnestly trying to catch either of them.

OK THAT MAKES SINCE. IF THEY ARE THIS AGGRESSIVE, I WILL HAVE TO GO A DIFFERENT ROUTE. I DO NOT LIKE CRAZY AGGRESSION IN MY TANK. IS THERE ANY OTHER SMALLER TANGS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND? I LIKE KOLE TANGS AND TOMINI AS WELL, BUT THEY ARE THE SAME SUBSPECIES AS THE BRISTLETOOTH.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACANTHURUS COERULEUS adult size is listed at 39cm in several places... LA is a great site, but a little cross checking on their stats is always a good idea. I've seen foot long specimens myself.

Tomini tangs and Kole tangs are some of my favorites. I like Scopas tangs too... but they're also a large fish. IMHO, not nearly as aggressive, though. Nothing wrong with the classic Yellow tang, either. Yeah, they're common, but there is reason for that!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to beat the standard 180, lighting is easy for corals. You can reach most areas of the tank to change anything without getting wet.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACANTHURUS COERULEUS adult size is listed at 39cm in several places... LA is a great site, but a little cross checking on their stats is always a good idea. I've seen foot long specimens myself.

Tomini tangs and Kole tangs are some of my favorites. I like Scopas tangs too... but they're also a large fish. IMHO, not nearly as aggressive, though. Nothing wrong with the classic Yellow tang, either. Yeah, they're common, but there is reason for that!

A YELLOW TANG IS EXTREMELY POPULAR, BUT I DO AGREE THAT THIS IS NORMALLY FOR A REASON. WHAT ABOUT A BLACK LONGNOSE TANG WITH MY STOCK? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THESE. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP A SECOND OR MAYBE EVEN A THIRD TANG, BUT I WANT THEM TO GET ALONG WITH MY WHITE TAIL. I LOVE THE TOMINI AND KOLE BUT THEY DONT GET ALONG WITH THE WHITE TAIL. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A YELLOW TANG IS EXTREMELY POPULAR, BUT I DO AGREE THAT THIS IS NORMALLY FOR A REASON. WHAT ABOUT A BLACK LONGNOSE TANG WITH MY STOCK? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THESE. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP A SECOND OR MAYBE EVEN A THIRD TANG, BUT I WANT THEM TO GET ALONG WITH MY WHITE TAIL. I LOVE THE TOMINI AND KOLE BUT THEY DONT GET ALONG WITH THE WHITE TAIL. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

latest

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180—2x2x6’. It’s a great size to grow with. Create that man cave around the tank, but leave room for extra tanks. I’m running 3 now, and started 3 yrs ago, but the reef tank has matured nicely. Going bigger is great, I’m a total fan of it. Remember that your arms are only so long. Buy one quality skimmer. I like Reef Octopus, Int 2000 w/a 300 gal rating capacity. Ease of cleaning the skimmer is important, especially the collection cup. I like Tangs! Sailfin from Red Sea, Yellow from HI, Tomato, Naso, Kole, or Unicorn are all great choices, and these fish all swim together with others.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back