I bought a used system! What do you think?

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 100gallon aquarium. Glass lids, sump, protein scimmer, gravity fed. 1 black white clown,1 maroon colored clown,1 regular clown,1 scopas tang, 3 black-white angel, 1 bi- colored angel fish and a hermit crab. Lots of live rock. Small starfish. Also have a led light controlled by blue tooth. My thoughts are to wait a few months to get accustomed to taking care of things before we try coral. What kind of coral should a novice be looking for? We like the fish and may add one more down the road. Also is this the appropriate food to feed them? It was part of the package. Sorry for going on forever, this is our first rodeo and want to do it right. How we got it 2 hours back home water and all is whole another discussion

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my best "deals" have come when I have purchased or were gifted and whole system or setup. I'm sure you did very well. Others will advise you better on your livestock questions, but welcome and best of luck!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System looks good! I cannot comment on that food as I have never tried it. If you have algae eating fish you will probably need to supplement their food with some type of herbivore diet. I'm sure that food is probably okay for the carnivores though. I like pellets in the way if processed foods bc they usually sink better and the fish can get then in all levels of the tank. Flakes sometimes stay on the top more.

As for easy corals.... any soft corals are great for beginners and you don't need the nest crazy lights and coral foods to feed them.

You can get mushrooms zoanthids all leather corals really. I like long step polyp leathers they wave in the motion of the tank. You can also get green star polyps (gsp) ot grows like grass isolate it to an island in your tank. Thank me later. Same thing for Xenia corals also isolated them. Kenya trees are super easy and grow like trees but fast.

Also I would say if you want something not soft to start with duncans are very forgiving.

Not sure what kind of light you have now. Do you know??? If it's not a coral light you will have to upgrade and that is an expense. All that being said the tank looks nice!!!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used aquariums are great to save a lot of money! Flakes in the reef tank hobby are accepted, but we generally try to avoid them. There are great for easy feeding, but we generally recommend a diet of live, frozen, and sometimes pellets/flakes. Having a variety in what you feed has numerous benefits. Research for your specific fish, and what they like so you can find foods that work for your entire tank.

Note: 3 clowns might become a problem. I would keep a eye on that, because pairs only have 2, and having a 3rd, getting left out could cause major aggression issues down the road. If you see any bullying or aggression issues, take action immediately.

For the corals, you have the right idea. Start verrrryyyy slow. Some vibrant corals for beginners are:

-Green star polypse ( can take over a tank, so isolate it)

-Pulsing xenia ( can also take over a tank so isolate it, and look this one up and watch a video of it, it's always moving, and it's very cool.)

-Kenya tree (can also be considered invasive)

-Frogspwan

-Duncans

-Zoanthids

-Hammers

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as coral yes go slow. Figure things out. What light is on the tank? Brand, wattage, etc is the light. May or may not be enough for coral.

As far as coral yes go slow. Figure things out. What light is on the tank? Brand, wattage, etc is the light. May or may not be enough for coral.
It’s a fluval aquasky 1200mm

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System looks good! I cannot comment on that food as I have never tried it. If you have algae eating fish you will probably need to supplement their food with some type of herbivore diet. I'm sure that food is probably okay for the carnivores though. I like pellets in the way if processed foods bc they usually sink better and the fish can get then in all levels of the tank. Flakes sometimes stay on the top more.

As for easy corals.... any soft corals are great for beginners and you don't need the nest crazy lights and coral foods to feed them.

You can get mushrooms zoanthids all leather corals really. I like long step polyp leathers they wave in the motion of the tank. You can also get green star polyps (gsp) ot grows like grass isolate it to an island in your tank. Thank me later. Same thing for Xenia corals also isolated them. Kenya trees are super easy and grow like trees but fast.

Also I would say if you want something not soft to start with duncans are very forgiving.

Not sure what kind of light you have now. Do you know??? If it's not a coral light you will have to upgrade and that is an expense. All that being said the tank looks nice!!!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is fine for fish. If you want to do coral you will need to upgrade. I looked it up and it would be pretty hard to keep even basic corals with it.

You can look for less expensive used lights on this forum. I have actually never bought a new light. I've only ever bought used lights and they work just great.

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is fine for fish. If you want to do coral you will need to upgrade. I looked it up and it would be pretty hard to keep even basic corals with it.

You can look for less expensive used lights on this forum. I have actually never bought a new light. I've only ever bought used lights and they work just great.
I appreciate you looking it up for me. What kind of light should I purchase?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you looking it up for me. What kind of light should I purchase?
What are the dimensions of your tank? Different sizes fit different things. You want the spread of the light to not leave your tank with much shadowing. So you may need a wider light or two lights vice versa. Also there's many different types of lights. You can go LED or Halide. I use LED but it doesn't really matter. It's just a preference thing really.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and rock! I agree with what others have mentioned above.

See the first post in my build thread, that’s where I keep a list of my corals. Almost everything in my tank is ‘easy’ to ‘intermediate’, but mostly easy and mostly cheap to buy, and quick to grow.

Looking forward to seeing yours grow!

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank? Different sizes fit different things. You want the spread of the light to not leave your tank with much shadowing. So you may need a wider light or two lights vice versa. Also there's many different types of lights. You can go LED or Halide. I use LED but it doesn't really matter. It's just a preference thing really.
48”x18”x24”

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tank! I would wait and save for the light....as IMO, thats the most important investment...dont just buy name brand, buy a good one, that will last you and allow you to grow anything.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since we are throwing out biased opinions lol
See below pics.

Also above recommendation for the razor is a good suggestion, and due to their suppliers in USA changing, the old suppliers are offering large discounts. That’s a good price

Attachments

• 0A1677C8-DD22-4024-BA38-5F9F750A88B8.jpeg
    0A1677C8-DD22-4024-BA38-5F9F750A88B8.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 19
  • FF29A516-69DE-4D83-A3D8-BA230257DD36.jpeg
    FF29A516-69DE-4D83-A3D8-BA230257DD36.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 15

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since we are throwing out biased opinions lol
See below pics.

Also above recommendation for the razor is a good suggestion, and due to their suppliers in USA changing, the old suppliers are offering large discounts. That’s a good price
Thats a nice light also...

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back