How big of a sump?

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys how big of a sump would I need on a 55 gallon? Also skimmer suggestions?

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to buy a sump complete or DIY?

Either or never have built my own sump.
As large as you can possibly fit or afford.
Ok what would be the general rule of thumb for a 55?

+1

That is the best advice. The biggest you can fit into your setup. Are you setting up filtration under the stand or elsewhere?

Well I'm building a new stand becuae my current Stand that came with the tank only has a 14" door so any sump I see can't fit into my Stand...

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm building a new stand becuae my current Stand that came with the tank only has a 14" door so any sump I see can't fit into my Stand...

Opps meant 15" and there's 2 doors and a center brace in between. I had an eshopps Sump but couldn't fit it into the doors so I got rid of it sadly:(

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Opps meant 15" and there's 2 doors and a center brace in between. I had an eshopps Sump but couldn't fit it into the doors so I got rid of it sadly:(

Hey there
I have a very similar issue with my stand, my opening is only 14" actually:) you could either build a new stand (which would allow you to get the biggest size Sump possible for the stand). Or you could get a custom sump built (which can be quite pricey) and you would end up with a lack of space in the sump most likely...
Hope that helps out a little, since I have a similar issue I'll let you know if I come up with anything else either!!!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how much you want inside your sump. But if it's just for a skimmer, I would say a 20 gallon is more than fine.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well remember if your going to be adding a doser or a ca reactor/ ato / or other reactors, your going to want room to navigate. Unless you can add dosers/atos outside the tank. Good luck! There isn't one right answer.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Well far most build around the protein skimmer. Make a decision first on what skimmer you want. I have not had a tank that small in along time so I would not be a good source to tell you about what you may want. I have always bought a bigger skimmer than I needed. This way you can dail it in where you need it and in your case with that size aquarium you may want to bump up the aquarium size in the near future. Not saying go over the top, but make sure you get a nice size skimmer. Put your investment in the filtration and your reefing all of sudden becomes allot easier.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back