How can anyone be happy with the lighting options out there?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C02603D7-CDA7-470C-A37F-3EC77FDDCE09.jpeg

I’m perfectly happy with these big dudes
How can anyone not like that retro look

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just gonna chime in with a couple things. 1st is in most cases you get what you pay for, I use this when I meet a new person I've taken out fishing or they come by and ask what kinds of rods and reels we used, say if we just won a fishing tournament. I tell them I buy the best rods and reels I can afford because they are better built so they will last you longer than a cheaper version, I've found the same applies for the most part to the hardware we use in this hobby. 2nd depends on your tank setup and location. If I was starting a new tank and had the option to use metal halides I would absolutely light the tank with them as they are probably the best light for growing corals (I'm sure alot would disagree) but in my experience and friends tanks I have witnessed over the years halides are hard to beat. But my current tank I setup a little over 4 years ago i wanted it in my bedroom so i went with leds just because my bedroom is the warmest room in the house because of the sun baking on the walls, and since i didnt have a place to hookup a chiller, etc.. I had to go with leds. I went with Kessil 160's and 360's and I haven't been disappointed at all, they work good enough for the options I had to make the tank happen in my bedroom. But I still believe halides are king if you have the option in your situation. If I get another tank that will go in my living room it will be lit by halides 100% for sure. Heres a pic of my bedroom tank, it's good enough for me.
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just gonna chime in with a couple things. 1st is in most cases you get what you pay for, I use this when I meet a new person I've taken out fishing or they come by and ask what kinds of rods and reels we used, say if we just won a fishing tournament. I tell them I buy the best rods and reels I can afford because they are better built so they will last you longer than a cheaper version, I've found the same applies for the most part to the hardware we use in this hobby. 2nd depends on your tank setup and location. If I was starting a new tank and had the option to use metal halides I would absolutely light the tank with them as they are probably the best light for growing corals (I'm sure alot would disagree) but in my experience and friends tanks I have witnessed over the years halides are hard to beat. But my current tank I setup a little over 4 years ago i wanted it in my bedroom so i went with leds just because my bedroom is the warmest room in the house because of the sun baking on the walls, and since i didnt have a place to hookup a chiller, etc.. I had to go with leds. I went with Kessil 160's and 360's and I haven't been disappointed at all, they work good enough for the options I had to make the tank happen in my bedroom. But I still believe halides are king if you have the option in your situation. If I get another tank that will go in my living room it will be lit by halides 100% for sure. Heres a pic of my bedroom tank, it's good enough for me.
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg

Outstanding tank

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding tank
Thanks and it's such a simple setup. No controllers, no doses etc.. Biggest high tech gadgets are the lights and skimmer. And haven't done a water change in 3 years now. I still wish I could have gone with halides mostly because of the faster growth rate especially for the acros but color and health are not an issue with the leds.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200421_124922.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg
20200421_173017.jpg
Great tank definitely and love the clown trigger, awfully bold of you lol.
But the "you get what you pay for" part. I feel that isnt really the case when it comes to Reef lighting. Plenty of high end LED units out there with problems I would expect from a much cheaper unit.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and it's such a simple setup. No controllers, no doses etc.. Biggest high tech gadgets are the lights and skimmer. And haven't done a water change in 3 years now. I still wish I could have gone with halides mostly because of the faster growth rate especially for the acros but color and health are not an issue with the leds.

How are you managing calcium and alkalinity with such a heavy stony load?

Reefkeeper28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone asked, but what are you planning to have in the tank. Also look on marketplace/craigslist etc. I found a year old maxspect r420r for 60 bucks. Basically need to decide what u need and/or want... Decisions Decisions...

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone asked, but what are you planning to have in the tank. Also look on marketplace/craigslist etc. I found a year old maxspect r420r for 60 bucks. Basically need to decide what u need and/or want... Decisions Decisions...
I was gonna ask this too but figured with the title of the thread, it wasn't too critical.
Me, I'm pretty happy with the lighting selection we have.
20181102_124748.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe somebody corrected already (cannot be bothered to go through all the posts) but the Kessil are not puck lights, they’re an integrated chip. A360s haven’t been particularly enduring for me, but the 160s are much better. I had a pair of them over a 30L for awhile and they worked quite well.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you managing calcium and alkalinity with such a heavy stony load?
Seachem reef builder for alk, keeps it between 6.5 to 7.5 with a scoop and a half a day. And seachem calcium around 4 scoops a week, and it hovers between 425 to 475. I check them both with Hanna testers, the calcium once every 2 weeks and the alk I test once a week. Seachem for magnesium but I only check that once a month as it doesnt fluctuate as much. Maybe a little old school for some but for me it's simple and effective. Also when I take off for a fishing trip for a week or so it's simple for my wife to take care of.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank definitely and love the clown trigger, awfully bold of you lol.
But the "you get what you pay for" part. I feel that isnt really the case when it comes to Reef lighting. Plenty of high end LED units out there with problems I would expect from a much cheaper unit.
Ya have no idea how comparable that is for reef lighting as I have only had experience with the Kessils for the last 6 years but they haven't given me any problems. But as far as fishing reels go it does apply 100%.

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya have no idea how comparable that is for reef lighting as I have only had experience with the Kessils for the last 6 years but they haven't given me any problems. But as far as fishing reels go it does apply 100%.

You have an amazing tank! Well done, I'm super jealous, but your logic comes off as "I bought a Corvette, and I'm happy. Check out my burnouts." ...It's not so helpful when I'm looking for the Honda Accord of reef lighting.

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna ask this too but figured with the title of the thread, it wasn't too critical.
Me, I'm pretty happy with the lighting selection we have.
20181102_124748.jpg
Honest question, what do you like about this MH over other options?

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some softies and LPS. Eventually SPS, but that is at least 1 year away.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back