How can I kill this bacterial mat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Just John
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Messages
5,933
Reaction score
21,195
Location
Clearwater, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DELETEme.jpg


I guess it would be called a bacterial mat. This is growing in the sand in a small area of the established tank and in a lot of corals. It doesn't appear to be a sponge. The gravel in this picture feels sort of like rubber with sand in it. I don't have fish in the tank, but feed Reef-Roids once a week. I have to dose daily for nitrogen and phosphate, so if anything they may get low sometimes. What can I do?
Current conditions:
Nit - 2
Phos - 0.04
pH - 8.1
Alk - 7
 
A tunicate, a sponge, a bryozoan???

I am skeptical that bacteria can form a structure like this one.

I don’t have a tested solution but perhaps a UV wand would disrupt this?
 
A tunicate, a sponge, a bryozoan???

I am skeptical that bacteria can form a structure like this one.

I don’t have a tested solution but perhaps a UV wand would disrupt this?
I'm not sure exactly what it is. Getting it off of a frag is difficult. It's like trying to scrape away a blob of jelly with a toothpick - the scraping tool goes through the blob, but it doesn't really do much to it. That's what made me think bacteria.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what it is. Getting it off of a frag is difficult. It's like trying to scrape away a blob of jelly with a toothpick - the scraping tool goes through the blob, but it doesn't really do much to it. That's what made me think bacteria.
Hopefully someone else who has seen this can provide a better explanation and provide a prognosis for how to proceed!

Bumping up for other folks to explain
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new