How Can I Lower My Levels?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shy519
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2014
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Location
Branson, MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the API tube test kits for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, calcium, phosphates, and alkalinity. I use Salifert to test magnesium. Some of my levels have elevated after being perfect for so long. This morning I did remove a sun coral I unboxed Friday if that may explain the levels. It was officially dead. I also tossed out a lot of rock due to a palythoa invasion so they were replaced with bleached rock. They are currently covered in a thin sheet of brownish-orange algae that produces a lot of bubbles. Livestock list includes an electric blue damsel, scooter blenny, orange spot goby, bicolor blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, several hermit crabs, 5 sexy shrimp, sand sifting star, and two turbo snails I rarely ever see. My levels are as follows:

Ammonia 0.00
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0.5
pH 8.0
Calcium 360
Phosphate 2.0
Magnesium 1410


I am also curious as to if you need trace element testers to grow optimal corals? Will testing for trace elements, and dosing accordingly for them, be worth it?
 
I use the API tube test kits for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, calcium, phosphates, and alkalinity. I use Salifert to test magnesium. Some of my levels have elevated after being perfect for so long. This morning I did remove a sun coral I unboxed Friday if that may explain the levels. It was officially dead. I also tossed out a lot of rock due to a palythoa invasion so they were replaced with bleached rock. They are currently covered in a thin sheet of brownish-orange algae that produces a lot of bubbles. Livestock list includes an electric blue damsel, scooter blenny, orange spot goby, bicolor blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, several hermit crabs, 5 sexy shrimp, sand sifting star, and two turbo snails I rarely ever see. My levels are as follows:

Ammonia 0.00
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0.5
pH 8.0
Calcium 360
Phosphate 2.0
Magnesium 1410


I am also curious as to if you need trace element testers to grow optimal corals? Will testing for trace elements, and dosing accordingly for them, be worth it?

What levels do you want to bring down? Nitrite will go down on it's own. You can reduce the nitrate levels any number of ways, like water changes, macro algae... well, maybe this is a better idea, read this:
https://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/09/nitrate-removal-reef-aquarium.html

A trace element tester? Have you ever heard of such a thing? I admit I'm a bit old school and I haven't ever heard of one, but maybe it's something new?

If you are doing water changes, and with any tank that is less than 1 year old (minimum) you should be doing them IMHO. Then trace elements are not an issue. Many people, including me, have older tanks, do less water changes and still don't worry about trace elements. Some reefs do try to dose 'stuff' and some manufacturers do sell 'stuff' to raise trace elements. But I really don't like adding 'stuff' to my tank unless I REALLY know what it is.
 
What levels do you want to bring down? Nitrite will go down on it's own. You can reduce the nitrate levels any number of ways, like water changes, macro algae... well, maybe this is a better idea, read this:
https://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/09/nitrate-removal-reef-aquarium.html

A trace element tester? Have you ever heard of such a thing? I admit I'm a bit old school and I haven't ever heard of one, but maybe it's something new?

If you are doing water changes, and with any tank that is less than 1 year old (minimum) you should be doing them IMHO. Then trace elements are not an issue. Many people, including me, have older tanks, do less water changes and still don't worry about trace elements. Some reefs do try to dose 'stuff' and some manufacturers do sell 'stuff' to raise trace elements. But I really don't like adding 'stuff' to my tank unless I REALLY know what it is.

I've been sitting at a zero for phosphates for so long but now those are up as well. Should I be worried?
 
Both nitrates and phosphates going up is something to think about, and given you saw what you think is algae starting to develop, yes, it's time to act.

How big is your tank? How long has it been running? Do you have a sump? Skimmer? Refugium? And reactors with carbon or GFO?

The question you need to answer is: why are they going up? Are you feeding anything different to the tank, or even just more?
 
I use the API tube test kits for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, calcium, phosphates, and alkalinity. I use Salifert to test magnesium. Some of my levels have elevated after being perfect for so long. This morning I did remove a sun coral I unboxed Friday if that may explain the levels. It was officially dead. I also tossed out a lot of rock due to a palythoa invasion so they were replaced with bleached rock. They are currently covered in a thin sheet of brownish-orange algae that produces a lot of bubbles. Livestock list includes an electric blue damsel, scooter blenny, orange spot goby, bicolor blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, several hermit crabs, 5 sexy shrimp, sand sifting star, and two turbo snails I rarely ever see. My levels are as follows:

Ammonia 0.00
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0.5
pH 8.0
Calcium 360
Phosphate 2.0
Magnesium 1410


I am also curious as to if you need trace element testers to grow optimal corals? Will testing for trace elements, and dosing accordingly for them, be worth it?
Before you try to change levels of anything, I highly recommend you invest in some better test kits. I thing your mg test is good. I would also get Salifert calcium, and Hanna checkers for alkalinity and phosphates (I use ulr phosphate checker). I use salifert for nitrates, but there are likely better kits like Nyos. I also wouldn’t worry about 20 ppm nitrates, if that is what it ends up being. Good luck.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new