How can I remove a ricordea from a frag plug.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190820_172553.jpg
As you can see it has GHA on the plug. I would really like to avoid putting it in my display with the algae on it.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut it off with a knife. However it is MUCH harder to attach it to a plug then it is to take it off. I would remove the green hair algae off it before I thought about taking it off. If it's just hair algae and not byropsis then some member of your cleanup crew will likely make short work of it.

OP
OP
Redleg

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hair algae. Has been plaguing me for the past 4 months. I can't seem to kill it in my frag system. Do you know if I can peroxide dip it, without killing it of course.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have it in your tank anyway, why worry about adding one little frag.

just add banded trochus snails. they will breed in your tank and they do a great job of eating algae. plus since you will have snails of all different sizes they get everywhere.

imo too many people only look at the nutrient side of algae, not enough of the consumers.

i got busy and neglected my tank, my sps died first, but i was like hey no biggie. then once my lps started going i said something must be wrong.

i kept saying i must have no nutrients since i have no algae on my rocks, no need to test. well i finally tested and phosphates where .25 and nitrates where 50 . but i literal have about 1000 snails in my tank, so they kept the algae in check :)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut it off with a knife. However it is MUCH harder to attach it to a plug then it is to take it off. I would remove the green hair algae off it before I thought about taking it off. If it's just hair algae and not byropsis then some member of your cleanup crew will likely make short work of it.

^ Sound advice. If you are having a problem with hair algae, this one frag plug is not going to make a huge difference. If you do remove the ricordea, you can place it in a disposable plastic dixie type cup with the top cut down and some rock rubble in the bottom to see if it will attach.

OP
OP
Redleg

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually am trying to move everything to my display tank. It's completely free of GHA. Once I get the frag tank emptied I'm going to tear it down , clean it, and restart it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back