How can you determine the value of Jawbreakers?

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking because I'm curious, not because I'm selling.

When I google jawbreaker mushrooms I see a variety of different colors and patterns. Some are crazy expensive and others more "affordable".

My question is, how does one determine the value of these mushrooms? Is there some sort of grading scale? Are there more desirable colors/patterns? If so, please elaborate. Please feel free to share what you know!

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all corals, price varies a lot. For jawbreaker, the more red streaks it has, the better.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what you're calling a "Jawbreaker". Typical Jawbreakers have an orange base color, some have red speckles, some have red streaks, some get no red at all. They are usually priced according to the amount of red. But... then some also develop green speckles or spots as well. A Jawbreaker with red and green is worth more.

There are also other flavors of Jawbreaker that are named according to the colors they have (or can develop). Candy Crush is similar to a typical orange Jawbreaker, but instead of red being the dominant secondary color, they have green. But they can also develop reds, yellows, purples, etc.

The Purple Monster is kind of the Holy Grail of Jawbreakers. Orange base, yellow, green, red and purple. These are typically very, very expensive.

There are also various "named" (lineaged) types of Jawbreakers, each known for some specific trait. Andre's Ultimate, Poletti, etc.

THEN... There are all the other Jawbreakers... Kryptonite (bright green base color with black splotches), Deadpool (deep red base with black splotches), Valentines Day Massacre (pinkish-red base with purple splotches). Those are typically priced according to size, color and markings. It gets pretty crazy.

In a nutshell, buying Jawbreakers is a crap shoot of sorts. It's nice if you can see the mother that your particular one came from so you have some sort of idea what you might be in for. The colors typically come in later, so for the most part you're just buying an orange mushroom and hoping.

I have one strain of Jawbreaker that came from a momma that has good amounts of red and green, then another strain that comes from a momma that has red and purple, but no green. So far all mine are just orange, with some of them developing red already. All you can really do is grow them out and keep your fingers crossed.

OP
OP
R

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nutshell, buying Jawbreakers is a crap shoot of sorts. It's nice if you can see the mother that your particular one came from so you have some sort of idea what you might be in for. The colors typically come in later, so for the most part you're just buying an orange mushroom and hoping.

I have one strain of Jawbreaker that came from a momma that has good amounts of red and green, then another strain that comes from a momma that has red and purple, but no green. So far all mine are just orange, with some of them developing red already. All you can really do is grow them out and keep your fingers crossed.
Interesting! At what size would you say that you typically begin to see an orange Jawbreaker begin to develop other colors?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! At what size would you say that you typically begin to see an orange Jawbreaker begin to develop other colors?

It really depends on the mushroom. I've seen some dime-sized Jawbreakers with already well defined secondary colors, and I've seen some not really start to pop color until they're 2 inches and a year plus old.

Does that clear things up? :D

Your best bet and cheapest option is to just buy a baby from a momma that you can see has the colors you want, then wait.

Or you can buy a mature one that has the colors already, but the price will be significantly more.

It all just depends on your personal patience-to-money threshold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the mushroom. I've seen some dime-sized Jawbreakers with already well defined secondary colors, and I've seen some not really start to pop color until they're 2 inches and a year plus old.
Ahh, gotcha. I figured it would vary. Thanks for the suggestions! I believe I may already have two types of jawbreaker, they came with my 55g when I bought it. I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home :)

OP
OP
R

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are, not the best pictures but you get the idea. Looks like I’m in luck, as one of them has a little speck of green
IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_1786.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back