How chose a pump for my 70g tank and 25g sump?

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am currently looking at buying a pump for my 70g tank and would like to know if a pump that is too powerful will have disadvantages. I am looking at a 900g/h Eheim or a 630g/h. any help would be great:smile:.

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pump that exceeds the capacity of your overflow can empty the sump and overflow the tank. You should try to get one that is close to the rate of your overflow.

OP
OP
T

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to go with the 630g/h return pump and i am confident that this will suffice. that being said, my overflow will be around 600g/h. is this something i should be worried about or can i match my pump to meet the rate of the overflow?
I have the link below for the overflow from Reef life that i am purchasing now. i think this really can do the job well.... well i hope haha

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With loss of head pressure your pump wont' be at 630gph, it will be under. Look up the specs of your return pump, it will give you head loss per foot. But in case you change pumps, you branch off the main return pump with a line that goes back to the sump, with a ball valve on it, this can be used to fine tune your return if need be.
Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

OP
OP
T

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madness,
i didnt calculte that in at the time, but that makes more than enough sense. im quite comfortable with with the setup then.
thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back