How clear is clear?

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all, My tank is running for a few months now and very happy as are my guests, the questions I have is how clear is clear water, I have approx 110ltr setup including sump.

In the sump which hits a 200 micron sock on entry is some cheato, a marine pure block and a TMC pro 500 skimmer.

My issue seems to be the water is not crystal clear, I have particles in the water.

How can I get the particles out of the display tank or what am I doing wrong or is this how it is, my LFS seems to have glass quality water?

Any thoughts?

I am taking delivery of a Red Sea Peninsula 500 in a few weeks but learning off this small tank is a great experience

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jon.

That is my next step, will get one that I can transfer to my larger tank later.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could also try temporarily switching to a 50 micron sock.

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have spare reactor which will be used when needed in my large tank, I could always try some carbon in it for now in the small to see the impact, ordered a Steriliser so will try that first (one thing at a time)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spare reactor which will be used when needed in my large tank, I could always try some carbon in it for now in the small to see the impact, ordered a Steriliser so will try that first (one thing at a time)

They also can essentially do different things. UV first would be best though. I just run carbon because I run my Ozone through it

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also can essentially do different things. UV first would be best though. I just run carbon because I run my Ozone through it

Doesn't carbon also neutralize any toxins that might be present in the water? Either way it can't hurt if properly configured right?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan to stock your new tank with? Sometimes crystal clear water may not have enough nutrients to take care of softies or some LPS's. unless you're willing to do constant cleaning and maintenance of a tank with certain corals having crystal clear water may eventually lose out to having beautiful and healthy coral...just my 2 cents!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't carbon also neutralize any toxins that might be present in the water? Either way it can't hurt if properly configured right?

I have seen people recommending stopping for certain reasons or starting for others etc. but I haven’t tested my tank since setting it up...... so who knows

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan to stock your new tank with? Sometimes crystal clear water may not have enough nutrients to take care of softies or some LPS's. unless you're willing to do constant cleaning and maintenance of a tank with certain corals having crystal clear water may eventually lose out to having beautiful and healthy coral...just my 2 cents!

Completely agree with this. I worked hard to get my water super crystal clear and my corals really struggled. Even my clownfish struggled with it. So know I have slightly foggy water and awesome looking corals.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go carbon first. It has always made my water crystal clear.
I do run a UV but not 24/7.
Micro bubbles can make a tank look a bit cloudy.
I run a mostly softy tank

Last edited:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sand bed? It's also a newish tank might take a bit for things to settle in i had same issue till month 6 or 7.

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New Tank will be mostly SPS with some LPS. I never thought about what it would take out! brain now starting to whirr about, its going to hurt soon, choices choices! as its not even built yet my current SPS will move happily as will my fish but the new tank is a plan ongoing. just choosignhe fish is a tough ask. my LFS may not even stock

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sand bed? It's also a newish tank might take a bit for things to settle in i had same issue till month 6 or 7.

Yes I do, could be dust but looks bigger, did not think it would not take sand so long to settle

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank will be mostly SPS with some LPS. I never thought about what it would take out! brain now starting to whirr about, its going to hurt soon, choices choices! as its not even built yet my current SPS will move happily as will my fish but the new tank is a plan ongoing. just choosignhe fish is a tough ask. my LFS may not even stock
My tank is mostly LPS and softies. Love the flow and look of them but it is a challenge to keep to glass and water clean. A small 13w UV filter does wonders in keeping my water super clear (I won't say crystal clear but it's close!) I do have to do HEAVY feeding to keep the coral happy so my fish are pretty happy about that! The main challenge I have is scraping the glass of algae and coralline...it's endless if I want to have a clean view of the tank!!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do, could be dust but looks bigger, did not think it would not take sand so long to settle
Depends I would not worrie about it with time it will be crystal. I agree with above. I dont have experance with uv but I hear great things about em. I usualy just run carbon gfo and skimmer and that does the trick for me.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back