How closely do you monitor PH

blazerino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a KH guardian that will monitor both my PH and Alk. The user interface is very basic and can only be used locally by logging into the device through it's IP address.

I also purchased a module that allows me to push the ALK measurement to my apex via it's PH probe connection.

The only issue with this is that I only have 1 PH port (classic apex lite) which means I would have to disconnect the PH probe from my apex. I know I can buy a PM-1 to add an additional port, but I'm questioning if that is really necessary.

I will always be able to log into the KH guardian to look at the PH reading and trends, and the current PH is displayed on the screen on the KH guardian. Is there any reason why I should pay the $85 for a PM-1 so I can view both through my apex?

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it comes down to personal preference. Can KH Guardian send you an alert if out of you desired pH range? Do you see an issue to check two interfaces? Or, do you want the convenience of having all of your data in one place?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep an eye on pH throughout the day and test alk 6X a day with my GHL system. Definitely great for peace of mind.

OP
OP
B

blazerino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up getting a PM-1 because a good deal came up in the classifieds here.

Additionally I was just discussing the PH measurement with Alex from KHG because I was getting different PH readings from the KHG and my apex and he pointed out that because the KHG is calibrated with 4 & 7 calibration points, the curve is not as accurate at normal tank PH of 7.8-8.4.

They calibrate to a lower range because they want more accurate measurements for their titration test. Their PH output will show an overall ph trend, but not a very accurate measurement of tank PH.

So basically you do need 2 ph/Orp ports to get accurate ph and dkh through the apex.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH monitoring has value if you do automated kalk dosing because if something goes wonky pH will be the first alert.

Maybe if you run cheato pH monitoring tells you the health of your mass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back