How cold is too cold to mix salt?

Dose salinity change as temperature rises?

Salinity does not change with temperature. Temperature does impact most of the ways the we measure salinity and that might cause errors if the device is not manually or automatically corrected for temperature effects.
 
Salinity does not change with temperature. Temperature does impact most of the ways the we measure salinity and that might cause errors if the device is not manually or automatically corrected for temperature effects.
Use a heater to heat your water to the same temp as your tank. Check your salinity at the temp your tank is and adjust salt before water change....
 
Use a heater to heat your water to the same temp as your tank. Check your salinity at the temp your tank is and adjust salt before water change....

Why would I do any of that? It's fine if you choose to, but its not preferable for me and I do not consider it an optimal order for anyone.

I can measure salinity perfectly well in cold water, and do not see any reason to ever heat it since I use it for very slow and automatic water changes. :)
 
Why would I do any of that? It's fine if you choose to, but its not preferable for me and I do not consider it an optimal order for anyone.

I can measure salinity perfectly well in cold water, and do not see any reason to ever heat it since I use it for very slow and automatic water changes. :)
Salinity does not change with temperature. Temperature does impact most of the ways the we measure salinity and that might cause errors if the device is not manually or automatically corrected for temperature effects.
I can see that. I am going to heat my water because its for a water change but if I didn't how would I compensate for temperature affects on salinity readings with the devise I am measuring with.

I just built a mixing station and its in the garage . Its cold now. I have only used it once for the initial fill of my tank and didn't care about temp. I'm going to start large water changes next week after my live rock arrives. I think its going to be optimal to heat this water. I do water changes with same temp as tank water. :cool:
 
I can see that. I am going to heat my water because its for a water change but if I didn't how would I compensate for temperature affects on salinity readings with the devise I am measuring with.

I just built a mixing station and its in the garage . Its cold now. I have only used it once for the initial fill of my tank and didn't care about temp. I'm going to start large water changes next week after my live rock arrives. I think its going to be optimal to heat this water. I do water changes with same temp as tank water. :cool:

What device?

Most conductivity meters and most refractometers (called ATC) automatically compensate for temp. Swing arm hydrometers automatically compensate, but floating glass types do not.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new