How cold is too cold?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael43
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
398
Location
Dirty Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is sps dominant and doing very well. My temp cycle right now is 75-76. I was thinking of lowering it a degree or so if everyone thinks it will be ok. It seems all the different fish I have accumulated are either deep water or cooler temp fish and I'd like to keep them happy and long lived. Is 74 at some points of the day too cold?
 
I dont think it would be a big deal, just try not to go lower then that if you could.
 
Personally I would shoot for 76-78 and use a heater.

A respected vendor once told me that cooler temps are fine but it's slows down the coral's metabolism, so if you want optimal growth I would try to stay within that range. See link below for NSW parameters.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Some sps might not do as well a cooler temps since sps come from vastly different geographical locations.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new