How contagious are dino’s?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the new info we have on them. At this point I would assume almost everyone has them in their tanks.

I have 2 tanks. One gets dino’s on occasion, usually if my nitrates drop below 10ppm. That same tank has no sump, has a hob skimmer and refugium. It’s my first tank and has been a problem child the whole time(55g).

I also have a 20g long tank, has a controller, a 15g sump/refugium and no skimmer. Been a good tank.

Now my question. I’m setting up a 135g tank with a 75g sump. I’ve had some rock sitting in the 20g tank to help cycle the tank. However I have some rocks I really like in the 55g. I will be curing most of the rock. However one rock in particular I’d hate to kill off. It’s got some cool coraline algae on it, some nice sponges, and is just an overall nice looking rock.

Would you worry at all about transferring it to a new tank? Especially when it’s been in some Dino outbreaks?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the new info we have on them. At this point I would assume almost everyone has them in their tanks.

I have 2 tanks. One gets dino’s on occasion, usually if my nitrates drop below 10ppm. That same tank has no sump, has a hob skimmer and refugium. It’s my first tank and has been a problem child the whole time(55g).

I also have a 20g long tank, has a controller, a 15g sump/refugium and no skimmer. Been a good tank.

Now my question. I’m setting up a 135g tank with a 75g sump. I’ve had some rock sitting in the 20g tank to help cycle the tank. However I have some rocks I really like in the 55g. I will be curing most of the rock. However one rock in particular I’d hate to kill off. It’s got some cool coraline algae on it, some nice sponges, and is just an overall nice looking rock.

Would you worry at all about transferring it to a new tank? Especially when it’s been in some Dino outbreaks?

No need to worry about cross contamination, they’re ubiquitous given proper environmental conditions. Obviously you wouldn’t want to make things worse by transferring any rocks with a visible Dino outbreak but otherwise can’t do much more.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering this too as I thought they were ubiquitous until I saw someone say that the root cause of Dinos is not quarantining/dipping which was pretty surprising to me.
I dip and quarantine corals but I'm fighting what I think is Dinos right now.

With that said, as long as there's not any visible growth on it, id say youre good to go.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely 100% can spread dinos via cross-contamination. This idea that they are ubiquitous and every tank has them is a bit like every tank has ich myth. Sure every tank may have some form of dinoflagellates but not every tank has all pest strains that can take over and cause an ugly mess. I have spread dinos from one tank to another on more than one occasion and these were not immature systems.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering this too as I thought they were ubiquitous until I saw someone say that the root cause of Dinos is not quarantining/dipping which was pretty surprising to me.
Who was it that said this and what were they dipping with to stop the spread of dino's?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back