How could 3D printing take reefing to the next level (or into an untapped space)?

Do you think there is more to 3D printing in the Reef Aquarium Hobby that is yet to be realized?

• YES much more

Votes: 251 82.6%
  • YES a little more

Votes: 39 12.8%
  • NO

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printers are the closest thing we have to Star Trek Replicators. Now, they are 3D printing organs and prosthetics. Can you imagine 3D printing a new spine and swim bladder for that wrasse that wrassed his wrass off jumping around and the 3D printed DaVinci surgery robot machine performs the enhancements. Instant fin damage fix.
Can’t get that favorite expensive fish? 3D print a self articulating anatomically correct one. Better yet, a creature of your own design with programmed characteristics. No need to feed the Robot Reef, water parameters? What water?
Not even the deepest ocean is the limit.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering I saw some type of hairs around the orange part of the photo is that a byproduct of 3D printing or just cat hair?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering I saw some type of hairs around the orange part of the photo is that a byproduct of 3D printing or just cat hair?

Stringing is a byproduct of printing with a not-optimized printer. You can get rid of it by passing a lighter or heat gun quickly over that section, or prevent it by adjusting your printer settings and drying the plastic filament.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sky is the limit when it comes to designing and 3d printing stuff for the hobby... look at this and tell me that there's not more to 3d printing that hasn't been realized yet.

Completely 3d printed wetsaw designed specifically for our hobby.

Screenshot_20220926-070145_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-070155_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-070723_Gallery.jpg
Is this design available for print somewhere?

When it comes to 3d printing, the only thing that is holding it back is its complexity. 3D printers aren't something that can be just picked up and used by everyone like a document printer. There is a learning gradient, so i don't think this technology will ever be common place.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always printing something, here's the latest. Most stuff I find on thingiverse I can modify to fit my needs... even when it has NOTHING to do with what I'm trying to make. RE-purpose :) I need to upgrade my printer too

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say that in my opinion while there are certainly use cases for 3d printing, I just couldn't find a home for it in the apartment after reef tanks took over.

That said though, will the average reefer find $600+ ROI on a printer? Lol, no.

It does come in handy, but it's a time investment to learn design and not go bald over the frustrations and tribulations that can happen if you begin dabbling in 3d printing. Much like reefing, changing multiple things at once can be quite mercurial even if you know what should happen based on your changes, and often it can take hours for those problems to reveal themselves.

It's a great hobby, but you can truly rip your hair out in frustration over them.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The thing I really like about 3d printing is that it seems like it's almost as vast as "if you can think it, it can be created."

In my own case I've got a pretty good example after working with another forum member here. He helped me literally create a super specific and exactly quirky part for my skimmer that wouldn't really be accessible or available any other way. We were able to retrofit a smaller collection cup onto one off my larger skimmers using the bayonet fittings with the "adaptor" he made

Below is a thread with some details on it. But after I experienced this with @Projects with Sam. my whole notion on this stuff and what the possibilities are expanded 10 fold.

And more recently, I had another guy send me some samples of some frag protectors for shipping that were 3d printed. in response to another thread I had about not wanting to use the little plastic cups anymore. lol they seem like a great solution to keeping frags secure while in transit and I am very seriously considering using them myself.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 8.16.56 AM.png

id definitely say there are plenty more cool things to come for the hobby from this tech. As long as people need "stuff" that may be on the quirky side or super specific. maybe too specific for the masses. 3d printers' will thrive I am certain

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing I really like about 3d printing is that it seems like it's almost as vast as "if you can think it, it can be created."

In my own case I've got a pretty good example after working with another forum member here. He helped me literally create a super specific and exactly quirky part for my skimmer that wouldn't really be accessible or available any other way. We were able to retrofit a smaller collection cup onto one off my larger skimmers using the bayonet fittings with the "adaptor" he made

Below is a thread with some details on it. But after I experienced this with @Projects with Sam. my whole notion on this stuff and what the possibilities are expanded 10 fold.

And more recently, I had another guy send me some samples of some frag protectors for shipping that were 3d printed. in response to another thread I had about not wanting to use the little plastic cups anymore. lol they seem like a great solution to keeping frags secure while in transit and I am very seriously considering using them myself.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 8.16.56 AM.png

id definitely say there are plenty more cool things to come for the hobby from this tech. As long as people need "stuff" that may be on the quirky side or super specific. maybe too specific for the masses. 3d printers' will thrive I am certain

Thanks for sharing! Based on your comments as well as my only reflections, it appears that we need to get better at imagining as well as continue to improve our skills using 3-D printers and the related software while the technology (including materials) continues to develop.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly... I feel when it comes down to 3D printing, it's not always going to be "Cheaper" to print...but it is the joy of knowing that you were able to make something and have an actual use for it.

Hey do you have a link to this band saw? I couldn't find it on thingiverse.

Also regarding that comment, is this very expensive to print or something? Does it take a couple full spools or something? Does the stl file have links to source the motor and electrical diagram?

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to find that cage for the Tunze ato. That's my one gripe with the pump, haha.

3d printing is definitely a good way for the hobbyist to make an impact on others on a scale larger than local. If you're able to identify a niche or design that greatly complements an existing piece of hardware, that's an amazing way to impact a ton of hobbyists.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to find that cage for the Tunze ato. That's my one gripe with the pump, haha.

3d printing is definitely a good way for the hobbyist to make an impact on others on a scale larger than local. If you're able to identify a niche or design that greatly complements an existing piece of hardware, that's an amazing way to impact a ton of hobbyists.
If this is what you are referring to. Here ya go.

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, much more! Currently using this 3D printed feeding station for my automatic feeder.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 38
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 38

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have a3D printer (yet) but I just sent a design over to my local library to print for me. I have an internal refugium and the suction cups keep failing so I took a bunch of measurements and used TinkerCAD to design a set of brackets to make it a hang-inside refugium instead.

Screenshot_20220927-170311.png
Screenshot_20220927-170237.png

Available on Thingverse as a single or double!

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sky is the limit when it comes to designing and 3d printing stuff for the hobby... look at this and tell me that there's not more to 3d printing that hasn't been realized yet.

Completely 3d printed wetsaw designed specifically for our hobby.

Screenshot_20220926-070145_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-070155_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-070723_Gallery.jpg
………uhhhhhhm yea…. This just blew my fricken mind !!! Very clean Honestly I’m very impressed and yes you are 100% right I think as time goes on we will begin to see a lot of prints way outside of the box just like this one here! Thank you for sharing I’m going to have to give this a shot myself I think! This was very inspiring for me! My brain is running like no body’s business right now trying to plan out a way to recreate what you have done! If I complete the task I will be sure to let everyone know who I got the idea from! Credit is definitely going to be given to you my friend! Thanks for the inspiration

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 3d printer and like making stuff for my tank but i hate the look of it . i will not buy anything 3d printed

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back